A4 Avant 2.8 Quattro model year / tiptronic

stebed

Reaction score
I am getting to the last stages of buying a 2.8 Q avant. I would like to get a facelift model which I think was 99-2000 ? But I haven't seen any. Did the 2.8 get the face lift or did the model get dropped for the 1.8T Q Sport.? Also what does the tiptronic box drive like. Does it have steering wheel controls? and how quickly does it respond to down changes for cornering? I am hoping that there has been someone in the same situation as me with looking for a manual but finding the auto as good if not better. Any help will be great.

Thanks

The 2.8 was facelifted in 99 along with the rest of the range. I've got a 99 post-facelift 2.8 30V Quattro Tiptronic Saloon, & am happy to tell you what I think about. Before I do, I should explain that I didn't choose it as an alternative to a manual. I have only owned automatic cars for the past 15 years. As far as I was concered, I was buying an A4 automatic. The fact it had a Tiptronic function was a bonus.

Around town, I don't use the Tiptronic. I just put the shift into 3, lock out 4th & 5th, and let it do its stuff. Once I'm out of town, I almost always use the Tip, as much as anything because the auto box changes up too soon when left to its own devices, & is slow to kick down. The Tip is pretty smooth & fast-acting, whether you're changing up or down. I love using it. As far as steering wheel controls are concerned, these were an optional extra. Mine, sadly, doesn't have them, but what you've never had you don't miss.

The 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic is a great car. If you're in the UK, have you tried Fontain Motors in Iver, Bucks?

JEFF

thats great, I am driving an avant tiptronic tomorrow, think I will be buying it as it's fully loaded and I think is preferable to the face lift as only other people see the face lift I get the bose, heated leather seats etc etc. Thanks, hope to have some news soon.

[ QUOTE ]
stebed said:
thats great, I am driving an avant tiptronic tomorrow, think I will be buying it as it's fully loaded and I think is preferable to the face lift as only other people see the face lift I get the bose, heated leather seats etc etc. Thanks, hope to have some news soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope it goes well, hope you like it, hope you buy it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Well I have got one after veiwing and driving 2x 2.8 and a 1.8TQ, I guess I would have bought a 1.8TQ if they were more available but when you list the spec of the 2.8 I have bought against a more expensive 1.8TQ I am pleased with my purchase. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I think the first owner opted for every interior option on the list, which leads me to famous first owners, this car was first registered to Premership footballer Graham Le Saux! got to be why it is high spec. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Did you get all of the sport options(seats, suspension, stearing wheel)? What other options did it come with?

Probably too late now but I have a facelift 2.4 (99 on V) tiptronic avant. The only option it does not have and that I really would like is steering wheel shift buttons. Otherwise tiptronic is definitely the best of both worlds. Auto great for normal driving but tips' ability to select gear is great.
Wouldn't give it up and always look forward to driving the a4 after the various manuals and auto's that I am otherwise in. The only thing that will ever beat it is a company car!
MRG

Yes as you said I got the 2.8 quattro avant tiptronic and from only ever owning manuals, except when I was living in the states, I must say that I am very happy with my choice. I think the auto box more suits this cars power delivery and handling and I would imagine that the manual gearbox would have quite a long throw. Perhaps if I had the sport suspension on it then the manual gearbox would have been better for the B roads. But with the spec of this car I couldn't let it go. Silver with black heated leather, climate, concerto, bose, sunroof, electric rear windows (for the dog) I have now fitted a set of 18" rs4 wheels which makes the car look more 'modern' I think.

I am however having a bit of trouble with the autoclosure and an oil leak which drips on to exhaust and stinks, but I now think this is a cam seal.

So over all I can recommend the tiptronic to anyone who has only ever had manuals, but i think during my ownership, which will be a good few years I will try to source the parts to do the steering wheel button conversion.

Over all very happy to be driving the Audi.

if there is I don't know how to do it.

You can't do it, & frankly why would you want to? There's nothing to be gained from it. The combination of Quattro 4WD & a torque converter means that you can get the fastest possible step off the line every time, regardless of conditions, simply by feeding the throttle in quickly and smoothly, without the mechanical stresses of dumping the clutch.

It's possible to drive really fast without abusing the car if you're prepared to learn the right techniques. That way, you don't just pour money into the hands of fast-fit companies for new tyres and clutches.

A torque converter is an essential component of all automatic gearboxes. Manuals don't need one, they have a clutch instead.