AH FabricationsBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

Question Lets talk about Shifiting/Clutching/RPM's

Just bought a stock 2001 A4, I've been driving it for about 2 weeks now and am still having trouble with smooth accelerations off the line.
    I want to drive the smoothest and fastest possible.

I notice the clutch needs a lot of travel distance from the floor before it will engage the gear. I literally have to lift my heel off the floor mat to release the clutch further before it catches and starts to move the vehicle.

1) Is this the same for many of you ? I think my clutch is just really worn, am I wrong?

2) Also, how high do you push your RPM's before upshifting to 2nd ?

I notice when in starting in first I really only move about 20ft before needing to upshift to 2nd (usually 3500rpm)

3) I wanna know if you guys rev more or less than what I do between 1st and 2nd?

4) What do you usually push your RPM's to before shifting up for 1st,2nd, 3rd,4th,5th?

5) Any tips for driving stick in an A4 ? Cause I know this ***** can go faster than how I'm driving it.

Thanks in advance.
    Sen

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    first of all, what engine you have 1.8T???

mine boosts well so i tend to shift around 5.5-6k as once turbo kicks in it revs quite quick.

between revs i keep small amount of throttle on, say 2.5 to 3k as this seems to keep turbo spinning, until i get anti lag this is the best i can do.

revs in first depends on how much traction i get as this is normally the limiting factor in my fwd. i get wheelspin all the way to 4th. if roads are absolutly bone dry.

i found my b&m shortshifter helped a lot as the stick has a long throw on it.

also i don't like the way the revs take a year to drop, i guess this maybe the dual mass flywheel. either that or the mapping has some over running in it or something. i'm going to try a light weight flywheel soon and see how i get on.
    1998 A4 1.8T Sport - For Saturdays
    2003 VW Golf MKIV R32 - For Sundays
    2000 Peugeot 406 HDi - For when it's raining
    1996 Kawasaki ZX7R - For when I'm late for work!

Mods- Forge Dump Valve, The Engine Shop Power Plus based Engine (Low Comp. Forged pistons, Arrow H-Section Rods, Newman fast road cams, polished & ported head), 19" wheels, B&M Short Shifter, Greddy Turbo Timer, RS4 Grill, Weitec GTN coilovers, HKS modified air filter, Autobahn88 FMIC, ChippedUK custom map. Some Turbo mods ongoing.

Owner

Status
    Yeah the bite on the stock clutch is really high. I didnt like it but you get used to it.

My new clutch has a much lower bite.
    A4 1.8T Quattro

VAG erfahren

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupie69uk View Post
    Yeah the bite on the stock clutch is really high. I didnt like it but you get used to it.

My new clutch has a much lower bite.
    Tell me about it! These Southbend clutches are a completely different beast to the stock setup...
    Nothing feels fast for long...

2004 Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI L.E.
    Ebony Black.
    1991 VW Golf GTI 16v
    Tornado rot.

Status
    mine isnt on the light single mass flywheel its like stock but hard as ****

TopGear Stockport / Longlife Exhausts /
    www.TopGearStockport.co.uk