Badger5Volks Autos
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update time

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel

Update time

Ok after my baby feeling sorry for herself while i saved to buy her what she needed, well the clutch arrived on Tuesday but needs special bolts so have ordrered them and the new gearbox mounts for the 6 speed

While the engine bay was empty i thought i would install the gear linkage,

old one

new one

Linkages side by side

Only pitfall is i lose the Quick shift, ahh well !!

Differences between boxes, not a lot in length but the six speed must be at least 20kg heavier

The reverse switch was different so i hacked it apart to access the connectors to mount the old wiring on.

Now i am stuck as none of the 3 sets of shafts will work and i have no idea which ones would go straight in if any, so i am going to try to get the 130mm inners that fit the box machined to fit my original shafts. Anyone help here??
    Last edited by Broken Byzan; 26th March 2008 at 21:54.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    seems like its about to stop here, it seems its impossible to get shafts remade for decent cost etc etc, and tbh i cannot afford to just keep buying shafts till one fits.

Anyone please??

3rd Gear

Status
    are using a fwd a4 1.8T clutch with the 6 speed box? also std flywheel?

is it worth using diesel gearbox, driveshafts and then changing the hub carrier to match? would that match up to the rest of the suspension? just a thought?
    1998 A4 1.8T Sport - For Saturdays
    2003 VW Golf MKIV R32 - For Sundays
    2000 Peugeot 406 HDi - For when it's raining
    1996 Kawasaki ZX7R - For when I'm late for work!

Mods- Forge Dump Valve, The Engine Shop Power Plus based Engine (Low Comp. Forged pistons, Arrow H-Section Rods, Newman fast road cams, polished & ported head), 19" wheels, B&M Short Shifter, Greddy Turbo Timer, RS4 Grill, Weitec GTN coilovers, HKS modified air filter, Autobahn88 FMIC, ChippedUK custom map. Some Turbo mods ongoing.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

simon, 1.8t LWFW and clutch.Diesel 'box and i was gonna use the inner CV's from the v6 box i have but they wont fit the shafts etc .

So i either get 2.5tdi uprights,bearings,flanges and shafts or set fire to the bloody thing,lol

On a good note i stripped and cleaned the APU engine and it does have a new oil pump fitted as hoped and i made sure all of the gunk was as clean as it could be. Also found out it has an AEB head on it, only the guy i bought it from spent a small fortune buying "the right" head for it,and all someone did was smooth out the AEB marking, he he

Status
    Can you not swap over the 1.8T flanges on the boxes?
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

tbh i dont know. I know the ones in the 1.8t box are a press/push fit and the 6 sp looks like it has an allen screw in the centre. I can get custom shafts made for 187 each, thats not too bad as i guess it means i done lose my new wheel bearings and the like.

I have a phone call to make tomorrow to see if the all seeing eye can help point me in a different direction before i take the plunge

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

I found out waht the rattle was on my old engine

Bits of shell in sump.

Shells welded to journal

State of the journal

Number one journal is the best one and that has picked up slightly so i suppose the "rattle" i had was bottom end . My head was telling me it was, i just thought it cant be etc etc etc

3rd Gear

Status
    good news about the head then. not so good news about the old engine. but hey you have a spare block to build up.

let us know how you get on with gearbox stuff, this i maybe interested in as mine is past best and clutch and flywheel need doing as well.

not convinced gearing is going to be suitable though.

Mods- Forge Dump Valve, The Engine Shop Power Plus based Engine (Low Comp. Forged pistons, Arrow H-Section Rods, Newman fast road cams, polished & ported head), 19" wheels, B&M Short Shifter, Greddy Turbo Timer, RS4 Grill, Weitec GTN coilovers, HKS modified air filter, Autobahn88 FMIC, ChippedUK custom map. Some Turbo mods ongoing.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

If the gearing wont work its too late now,lol

I believe we have overcome the shaft problem, after various conversations it would appear there are some 108mm output flanges available that will fit this 'box.

Just to see where i need to re mount the box mounting point i shoved it in the car ( my back now broken)

Whole box

Passenger side, see how the gearbox mount is too low, i aim to get a drivers side subframe mount cut off and weld it to my frame in the right place. Any spare subframes kicking around?

Drivers side

On a positive note, i can select all of the gears with the linkage loosly assembled and it looks like my slave cylinder will fit also

3rd Gear

Status
    so what was the gearbox out of again?, would it not be better to make a custom bracket for the mount, instead of chopping subframe?

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

2003 Passat 130 TDi. 01E box,
    If i had not just spent a fortune buying brand new OEM gearbox mounts maybe i would have done, but i think i could weld a new mounting point onto the subframe easier than making a mount to bolt to the box ect

4th Gear

Status
    can i ask what are you actually aiming for from all of this?

S3 - Gone but not forgotten!

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

I dont really understand the question, but i hope to have a working gearbox, all be it a six speed and a working engine as mine self destructed. All on the smallest budget possible

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sitrials View Post
    can i ask what are you actually aiming for from all of this?
    He is swapping his 5 speed original gearbox for a 6 speed from a VW Diesel.
    A4 Avant project now started ! see this thread ! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/43296-bit-project-going.html
    If you think my post had a usefull purpose please say thanks

6th Gear

Status
    I don't understand - why is the gearbox mount on the passenger's side sitting underneath the subframe, or is that how it's meant to fit?

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

its not supposed to be there, its hanging from that long bolt to just see where things lined up. I aim to use a drivers side subframe mount and weld it to the pass side in the correct position for the box to sit on. At the mo it wants to sit on top and forward of the mount as it stands.But i would be unable to use the mounting rubbers etc properly so i am going to cut it off and weld a new one in place as soon as i get one ;-)

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Subframe moddified with the same type of mount thats on the drivers side. I thought this was easier to do than trying to make a gearbox mount seeing as i had just bought an OE one anyway,lol

Status
    i tell you now your going to have fun with that clutch mate

mine isnt even a paddle but **** me its hard you need big legs if you running a single mass flywheel

im on the stage 4 DXD with flywheel also you get a lot of judder in gears if your not going fast or if you down gear.

TopGear Stockport / Longlife Exhausts /
    www.TopGearStockport.co.uk

3rd Gear

Status
    wahhoo, i gotta get one, it feel like i'm driving a track car. j/k :-)

6th Gear

Status
    So where you able to buy the mount for the subframe or did you get another right leg and cut it off ?
    A4 Avant project now started ! see this thread ! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=43296

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

bought a used subframe and cut it off,lol

Updates later, need a bath

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Ok she is running and driving now, i ended up getting V6 uprights and shafts ( although one is wrong, more in a min) So the APU engine seems to pull strongly and the box changes cleanly, but you guys were right about yhe clutch, its a right pain !!!!

Ok i was given the shafts and one was about 4 inches shorter, so i went back to the breaker and got a replacement, it was longer and seemed to fit ok. I found out by looking that its the same one as is already on the car, so puts pressure on thye flanges causing a grumble, so i have not driven far. I have on the right 8d0 407 272 bb (dt)
    and the same on the left,i think the left should be 8d0 407 271 bb (DT) But i cannot be sure as i have no way of checking the lengths. I need the left one to be slightly shorter as per OE i think anyway. Anyone have a spare V6 Drivshaft set kicking around they can measure?
    Oh at 80 in 6th its running 2500 ish but dont want to push it till i am sure of this shaft etc etc
    Last edited by Broken Byzan; 7th April 2008 at 20:57. Reason: Got my figures wrong

6th Gear

Status
    Nice one thats wicked news mate, im going to rip all the info and part numbers from this for when i do it
    A4 Avant project now started ! see this thread ! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=43296

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

You welcome matey, i just gotta sort this driveshaft thing out and i will list everything i can think of that i did etc etc

EDIT : Just checked the old shafts and although its not much difference its obviously enough, If i was OE ride height i bet i wouldnt notice
    Last edited by Broken Byzan; 6th April 2008 at 15:06.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Thats it i am going to cry !!! I got the right shaft, fitted it to the passenger side ( left??? ) Assuming i have that right. And the Whine is still there when driving, its full of oil, anyone any tips?

Trust me to buy a dud !!

I will make a recording later for ****s and giggles, but am am proper pissed off. Does anyone here rebuild boxes??

4th Gear

Status
    no are you aiming for any big power increase at all after your engines decided to blow up??

S3 - Gone but not forgotten!

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

I do not understand your comment, I have an APU engine with an AEB large port head,K04-15 turbo, decat, 3 inch stainless exhaust, Custom remap, coilovers etc ect so I do not aim for any more power than that why do you ask?????
    Last edited by Broken Byzan; 7th April 2008 at 19:53.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

My car is being used as a Guinea pig to try different things and i have learnt a lot that i was trying to share with anyone thats interested,if you are not interested go post elsewhere

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan A4 View Post
    Oh at 60 in 6th its running 2800 ish but dont want to push it till i am sure of this shaft etc etc
    Are you sure. It seemd very high revs for a 6 speed box. My 5 speed sits at 60 at 2400rpm

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan A4 View Post
    My car is being used as a Guinea pig to try different things and i have learnt a lot that i was trying to share with anyone thats interested,if you are not interested go post elsewhere
    Thanks mate for taking the time to post everything you have done. Especially the pictures. This is what forums are all about

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by farmerq View Post
    Are you sure. It seemd very high revs for a 6 speed box. My 5 speed sits at 60 at 2400rpm
    My bad, i forgot to stick it in 6th,lol

I am gonna upload a video of 4th.5th.and 6th with evidence of the whine

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

IIRC it was 2500 @ 80 ish

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=wcKEy2w9pU8
    Last edited by Broken Byzan; 7th April 2008 at 20:38.

6th Gear

Status
    Couldn't really hear much from the video.

Is the whine present in all gears? Does it reduce / stop on overrun?

6th Gear

Status
    What are the correct part numbers now for the drive shafts you used ?

Also there is a very loud noise there dies it go up and down with the revs etc? Does it dissapear when the clutch is depressed?

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

gets louder with speed, no difference on overrun. maybe a very slight difference when full acceleration. It doesnt dissapear with the clutch sadly. Now i have either damaged it myself by driving 2 miles with the wrong length shaft fitted, and that in turn put pressure on the output fanges of the box.

I have the right side as 8d0 407 272bb and the left as 8do 407 171 bb, i also took right to be drivers side and left passenger, thats right isnt it?
    Oil is full, i will be draining and changing tomorrow anyway just to be 110% on that.

At the end of the video the noise is most prevelent, she drives ok just has this annoying noise,lol

6th Gear

Status
    Any chance you have killed your wheel bearing with the longer shaft?

Cheers for the above i so want to do this to my car
    Last edited by Markey; 7th April 2008 at 21:27.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Nah, its not that kind of noise, shame as that would be easy to fix,lol

3rd Gear

Status
    stick with it good buddy, we are all learning here. bit or moral support needed???

6th Gear

Status
    Indeed, you so close mate to having an awesome car just how you want it stick with it you are the pioneer for us.

Status
    Mate this has been a great project costly at times but great. I would carry on using the car till box gives up the gost and look for a spare in the mean time.
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast