Headlight adjustment

Jonc

Reaction score
Anyone know how to adjust the height of the headlight beam on a non-xenon H7 lights on a 99.5 A4. The driver side light is pointing higher that the passenger side. thanks.

Jon

Yup, behind the headlamps there are white adjustor thumbwheels. sometimes they are a little stiff and require persuasion with pliars, but they should sort the problem for you...

I thought so. I did rotate the thumbwheels, but didn't seem to do anything. How much do you have to rotate them for them to take affect? The interior electric adjustment works fine though for both lights.

I also have a 99.5 A4, how can you tell if your headlights are xenon or non-xenon?

When you turn xenons on they do not turn on instantly like filament light bulb, the light output is also more blue/white

I guess i have just halogen. They do have headlight jet washers, but i don't think they have levelling lights. When i hit the switch they turn on very fast. I have one more question, i just bought some Audi S4 HID's(ballasts and bulbs) is there anything else i have to do besides install the HIDs?

No, USA does not require the washers on xenon lights. The light ficture will say whether or not it is Xenon. The manual will jsut give general description and list all options for the model car you own. Check with the person you purchased the car from hopefully they know for sure. Also the light will appear stronger at night I would imagine if you do have a Xenon HID (high intensity discharge)

Not sure on which models this works with for sure, but by using a VAG-COM you can adjust the leveling with the following steps. This might just be for the B6

1. Park the car on a level surface, 10 to 20 feet from a wall if possible. Connect the VAG-COM as usual, with both ignition and xenons on.
2. Select control module 55 - H. Light Range. This is somewhat hidden under "Less Common Modules"
3. Take note of the value in the Soft Coding cell. This is the headlight level as set by the dealer when they performed the PDI. If you manage to muck things up you can always go back to this default value
4. Click on "Recode - 07" and you will be able to modify this soft coding value. A smaller value aims the lights higher, and lower value aims the lights lower. Click on "Do it!" to see the lights move up or down.
5. Don't over do it. I suggest that you choose a value that still has a gentle downwards slope to avoid blinding other people on the road. I changed my original value from 00060 to 00020 and it's perfect.
6. Now you need to recalibrate the self-leveling reference point, or else you will throw a code the next time you start the car.
7. To do this, select "Basic Settings - 04" and scroll up to "Group 001". In a few seconds the first cell will change from "wait" to "set". Now scroll to "Group 002" and wait until the controller says "Learned"

provided by TTinTo