Trip computer messing with my head???

Turbo Lag FTW

Hate those none insured you know who types
Reaction score
Carlisle, Cumbria. Not Geordie nor Scotch!
Hey guys, was using my car to jump start my bro`s BMW as its battery just failed today. After giving it some high revs and gettin the ol bmw a lease of life we both decided to give our cars a run out. So reset my stats on trip computer and noticed the MPG was higher than its ever been since the car was repaired from an accident. Its been really poor on fuel lately and trip computer was struggling like hell to get over 29mpg at 70mph, but after the jump start its doing 39.5mpg at 70mph. I cant understand it, gonna monitor it tomorrow and see what it says then. Just a note, the trip computer has been pretty accurate on my fuel usage as I have been calculating my miles to fuel. And its been a poor 27mpg lately :(

Poor, i wish i could make 27mpg. Maybe a spike led it to reset itself???? If so i guess it will recalibrate itself. Watch and see i guess . 300 miles on a tank is about the norm

I dont usually welly my car and thats coming from a 27y`old lad lol. Due to money being tight I found myself driving like an old man quite alot and Im getting 170 miles to half a tank at the moment, can remember gettin 190-200 from half a tank once over.

Ive read many a post and noticed most peeps getting avg of 25-28mpg from their A4, and always wondered why mine was so different.

I recon i could do nearly 400 on a tank but TBH i would die of boredum before i got it that far,lol Even tho things are tight i bought the car and did al this work to make her quicker etc so i drive her accordingly ( probably why mine is dead)
All the best 36yr old "kid"

Yeah gotta admit, it is kinda boring driving round at 30 in 4th and 5th around town lol.
Although I do get kicks outta beating the polish workers from my factory when we get out of work. Seriously tho, there is 4 of em on my shift that all own A4`s, 3 of em are 1.8s and the other is a 1.8T which I gotta say is in poor condition in comparison to mine.

I think its that low rev,high load situation (ie 5@ like 35) and my lowish oil pressure that saw mine off . High load, low revs and oil pressure just about 30 psi, not trying to scare you or owt as if you have kept your oil changes etc up to date you should be ok, just pointing out what can happen.

It must be a Polish thing there are a few with us too, one on GB plates and one on polish, it must be some kind of status symbol where they come from???

I drive almost all motorway miles. 176 a day. I get two days out of a full tank. Almost exactly as I am running on empty as Iroll into the petrol station.

For what its worth, the trip computer says 30mpg. 352 miles, 55 litres is 6.4 miles per litre or 28.9mpg so it's pretty accurate, within 3% give or take.

I drive almost all motorway miles. 176 a day. I get two days out of a full tank. Almost exactly as I am running on empty as Iroll into the petrol station.

For what its worth, the trip computer says 30mpg. 352 miles, 55 litres is 6.4 miles per litre or 28.9mpg so it's pretty accurate, within 3% give or take.

Sod off LMAO :),i bet those miles aint all done at 56mph for max mpg either

my 1.8T seems to average around 30, it was running a few short recently and it turned out to be the tyre pressures were a few psi low all round.

Thats combined motorway and city driving with some rush hour stuff in there too

also the trip computer is now within 0.1MPG of calculated miles usually. It was out by a fair bit, but after removing the battery to clear out the leaves in the scuttle its been perfectly accurate.

Also the ave miles depends on distance travelled too. if you reset it and drive along the motorway for a bit it will liekly read pretty highly as your average has been high, as you roll on the miles and add it normal driving it will fall back down to its usual point.