Stereo help ! (not volume question)

OllyS4

Reaction score
I think my car came with a different stereo originally but the last owner put a concert in there (never got it to work). i thought the volume control had broken so got a new one.
When i fitted it it doesn't work and i think the plugs are wrong on the back, could some one please help me by telling me what i need to sort this out?
Is the a loom i can buy to sort it or can i just change a few wires over?

Does the car have a amp in the front because the wires in the door are different to any at the plug end or do they change collar between the stereo and the speaker.

If it helps the car has Bose speakers but no CD changer and no amp/sub in the boot.
Also the Bose front and rear drivers side door speakers are missing and i have put some other odd speakers in there for now.
I will post pics soon.

I have the full Bose in mine and the amplifier is under the rear parcel shelf in the boot.

What's all the mush on the plugs?
I've never seen that much dust on top of plugs. And from the pic it looks more like alloy corrosion....but why on the plastic?

Interesting that you've only got an output for the front left speaker and nothing else on the ISO plug.

Also never come across that. Though I've not installed many stereo's into Amped Audi's.

The car is a avant, i have looked and there is no amp, sub or cd changer.
It is just dust, the car has been in a spray shop and the dust is everywere.
So the wires are only there for the front left speakers?
Do the wires just go straight from the stereo to the speakers or is there a amp in the front some were?

If it's the Bose system then it shouldn't even have the brown speaker plug at the HU as all the speakers are amped seperately. But looking at that loom you only have 2 wires coming off it, when there should be 4 if it's a non Bose system. No Audis drive the rear speakers from the HU, so that's normal.
The yellow part of the multicoloured plug is the loom for the Bose amp. This feeds the front & rear pre-outs to the amp. The amp should be in the boot and looks like this:
B5Boseamp.jpg

Then all the cabin speakers are connected to the amp.
Have a look on ebay for replacement Bose units and the amp if you can't find yours. Check you have the loom in the boot though otherwise you may not actually have a Bose system (regardless of what the HU says). All the Audi HU's are the same, they are just programmed differently to say Bose when you turn them on. This doesn't mean you have a Bose system.