New here with some S4 quetions.

OllyS4

Reaction score
Hi all, i have just got a 1999 S4 avant right hand drive (2.7 biturbo)
It was cheep but did come with a few problem that i hope you guys can help me with.

I ran a VAG-COM check and it says that lambda probe bank 1 sensor 1 is faulty so i have odered one from audi but can you conferm it is the drivers side one i need to change? and how easy is it to do + what is the best way to get to it?

I noticed the drivers door speaker grill was loose so had a look and it fell off and there is no speaker behind it just the wires the grill has bose on it and audi want £97 for a new speaker. Were can i get a cheep one or a cheeper one that is as good. Also how can i find out what system i have i.e sub, amp number of speakers? The stereo doesnt work and i put it down to the volume control so have ordered one of ebay.

When i have fitted the new lambda i want to check the MAF. What reading should i get with VAG-COM at what revs in what gear on a good MAF?

I think the stearing wheel airbag has been taken off in the past because it does'nt sit properly in the wheel and the airbag light is on, i did clear the light but it has come back on after a few days driving. How can i take the airbag off to check the wires behind?

I think thats it for now thanks

Olly

Airbag light is normally down to a loose connection under one of the front seats.

Stock maf reading, hmm I guess 200 or over or thereabouts.

Do the seats have airbags in? i couldn't see a airbag sign on them (didn't look very hard) will check VAG-COM again to see which one it is for sure. just out of interest how do you take the airbag off the wheel so i can re-position it better?
200 max-ish is about what i would have guessed for the MAF as well.

Bank 1 sensor 1 should be the drivers side lambda nearest the turbo, should be able to get to it and spot it fairly easy by opening the bonnet and looking down for the top of the downpipe, just behind and underneath the flexy pipe for the air box, the lambda is on the top of the downpipe, not too far down, should be able to see it easily. Maybe consider getting a lambda removal socket, I got 1 cheap from GSF, makes removal and fitting nice and easy. As for swapping shouldn't be a prob with a few spanners handy and a ratchet handy, just may have to remove to odd part to make access easier, flexi and y-pipe etc. But not sure exactly as I've only done the other side. You're lucky it's bank 1, bank 2's a pain!

Bank 1 sensor 1 should be the drivers side lambda nearest the turbo, should be able to get to it and spot it fairly easy by opening the bonnet and looking down for the top of the downpipe, just behind and underneath the flexy pipe for the air box, the lambda is on the top of the downpipe, not too far down, should be able to see it easily. Maybe consider getting a lambda removal socket, I got 1 cheap from GSF, makes removal and fitting nice and easy. As for swapping shouldn't be a prob with a few spanners handy and a ratchet handy, just may have to remove to odd part to make access easier, flexi and y-pipe etc. But not sure exactly as I've only done the other side. You're lucky it's bank 1, bank 2's a pain!

Wonder when you'd show your face, the original S4 harbinger of doom LOL!

Welcome to the site mate, theres a few of us B5 owners here!! Bi-Turbo, yeehaa! :rockwoot: