Some help in deciding what to do

Bong Water

In two minds
Reaction score
I have a mint A4 B5 1.8TQS on a 2000 on 55K miles, its a nice car and I love it when I am driving it, it has comprehensive history and I have spent around £800 in servicing and I bought the car in December.

I am trying to decide if its worth modding or saving the money to put toward a newer shape, I really like the B6 shape A4, its my fave shape Audi and I am unhappy with the colour and look of my car at present.

If I kept my car I would want wheels, remap, Forge TIP, and an exhaust system, thats getting into serious money on a car that I am not happy with looks wise. which I could put toward a B6

Am I being stupid?! Should I be grateful I have a great example and mod it or should I save the money and put it toward a better base that I will be happier with, it would probably take me a year or so to save the cash and will power required to not spend it on my current car will be great but I reckon I could do it!

What do you guys think?

Whats the difference in price between a b6 1.8tqs and a b5 average ?

Good question, I would want around an 04 model so approx £8K

I would value my car (this is using Auto Trader and other examples of the same car) at around £5K

Cost to change = £3K

So maybe its worth the upgrade to somthing that you would prefurr and not worth spending any money on what you have.

It would seem that way, the cost of an MS Design kit and a set of 18's then a remap, inc exhaust and some other bits would equal the cost to change.
Only thing that puts me off is the amount of money I have spent on this car and the fact that it is a low mileage and good condition car and my sensible head tells me I am being stupid to be thinking of selling it, I think its time to get saving!

i didnt like the colour of mine when i got it but it now i love it as not many have the colour i do.

and if you want a exhaust come see me mate will sort you a mint one out done **** loads of a4's now

craig

Cheers ill consider an exhaust if I keep it, I would consider keeping it if an MS Design kit come up cheap, it massivly improves the look of the car. in the mean time I am going to be saving hard

I love the B6 shape as well but i cant nock the fact that my B5 cost me 1900 quid and the B6 will be another 7-8K for what i would like, so im sticking with as spending the money bit by bit as and when. If you would like the B6 you are always going to be saying oh i wish i had one of those so its your choice :)

I have just had a look on autotrader and there are some b6 1.8T qs on there for 5k

Yeah they are earlier ones and I would really want to seek out a low mileage mint example as I always do, I would want as late as possible too and I couldnt justify changing right now, I simply couldnt afford it. I want to wait 6 months at least, I think I am going to save for a B6 and go on a couple of holidays this year instead of ******* around with cars like I did last year and left myself skint.

When did the B6 go out of production?

Yes there is, collection only though and I dont need the bumper.

Dont get me wrong I like the B5 shape too, I just dont really like the colour of mine, looks great when polished and waxed, brings out a bronze tint, but when dirty, it looks like a freshly laid dog **** on wheels. I really like the B6 shape, the 1.8T with Votex kit and twin exhausts is horny and I want one :(

first of all have you driven/ been in the b6? wouldn't even think about making a decision until then just in case there is a surprise dislike.

i think from what yo are saying i'd be tempted towards buying a b6, as you say you prefer that shape, money put into b6 wouldn't be lost like it would be modding a b5.

i know i'm a fine one to talk though after buying my b5 for £500 and spending probably nearly £9k on it.

Aye good points there, I am assuming it would be the same to drive, best find a local one and take it for a spin. Also you are right, I want to settle with a long term car and i dont feel like my B5 is "the one" I do have a nasty habit of getting bored very quickly