Auto dim rear view mirror

Reaction score
Im off to a breakers tomorrow for afew bits and was going to get an auto dim mirror. What model audi does it need to be off ??

The breakers round your way are awesome i have to mail order any bits like this that i want...

I thought only the S4s had this to start with.

i think its stock on facelift cars, or part of the SE package. mines got it.

Yeah we have some good breakers round here,plus as ive been in the motor trade for years i know them quite well which is handy for prices. The breakers down the road has a facelift a4 in so i might have a look if i get no joy tomorrow. Does it have to be off an a4 b5 or will an a6/a8/b6/b7 fit as well ?

The screen/mounting button is the same across all of the ranges so i guess anything will fit. Just dont get one from a car that has the rain sensor thingy as that fitting is not available without buying a screen ( i know i have one here,lol)

Parkers says:

SE:
Auto dipping rear view mirror:
Standard Apr 1999 Dec 1999
£147 Nov 1999 Jan 2000

Non SE:
Auto dipping rear view mirror:
£147 Jan 1999 Nov 1999
£147 Nov 1999 Nov 1999

so it looks like it was standard on SE's between apr and dec 99, but other than that its an option. does that tie in with yours Markey?

The screen/mounting button is the same across all of the ranges so i guess anything will fit. Just dont get one from a car that has the rain sensor thingy as that fitting is not available without buying a screen ( i know i have one here,lol)
How do you tell the difference as it will most likley be comming of a b6/b7 car ??

If the mount looks like a small disc like you have now, its fine and will fit the screen, otherwise its around twice the size and you cannot get anything to fit it

If its off the early A4 it only has a few wires the later ones have quite a few but i have them figured out somewhere. they can be made to connect to the wing mirrows and controll the dipping of them if they are that type.
Make sure you get at least the plug/socket the rest is just wires

I see what you mean now about the different size mounts ,i got one off a 98 S8 as it had the same size mount and came with the wiring/plug as well !!

yep, 951, can you get some piccies and maybe a brief write up when you do it, maybe we can have a techie section for mods?

wish i did a few more photos on my engine conversion, might of helped other people a little.

I got it with an alloy s8 chrome mirror, both for £20 !!

i found one of these in my local scrappy yesterday, £20, 6 pin plug, came from A3, found a simple way to wire in
pin 1 (white) 12v+ switched with ignition or lights
pin 2 (black) earth
pin 3 12v+ reverse switch (didnt bother with this yet)
facelift b5 interior lighting unit has 2 unused pins inside, earth and 12v+ switched with side/headlights, i used these, covered daylight sensor on front and mirror dimmed, if you connect pin 3 in reverse it will turn off dim so you can see better going backwards
pins 4-6 are for connecting to door mirrors i think, ive only bothered with 1 + 2 for now

cant remember colour but connector has very tiny numbers on it if that helps

951 – If you find a complete set of brushed ali RS4 B5 mirrors – let me know, i've been trying to source these for ages!!!