A4 Mirrors (help please)

norad97

Reaction score
I have seen some mirrors from a 1999 A4 complete with all the mountings as taken off the car.(this is the whole assembly not just the covers.
Will these bolt on to my 1997 A4? I no these are face lift cars but are the mirror mounting the same in the doors?

I asked the same question and was told that they are a direct fit including the wiring !!

I think they are just a slightly different shape but not that noticible to be honest .

I know someone selling a set of pre-facelift Ming Blue mirrors. If you're interested, drop me a PM.

Facelift mirrors ARE very different in the shape / profile to pre-facelift units.

They are interchangeable as complete bolt-on units, though the glass and casings are different between the 2 types.

Facelift housings and glass are more trapezoid at the door end (closest to the window) and they taper to a sharper angle / slope towards the outside.

Hi thanks for your help, the problem is I am looking at buying two mirrors with aloy finish.
These are real Audi parts, they are complete units minus the glass.
Your discription seem spot on, I have been looking for them fitted to a late A4 but not seen one yet.
They look like the ones fitted to B6 models.
i am a bit concerned that if I buy them they will not fit my A4 1.8T sport 1997 model.
Have you seen them fitted? do you think they fit without mods?

Regards,

Richard

The later mirrors, both plastic and alloy / chrome versions indeed do look more like B6 / B7 models, in terms of the taper of the casing.

But rest assured, they are B5 items, and fit both early and late cars ('95 - '01 B5). Wiring harness connector is the same for all models too.

I did not buy those mirrors after all.
I did buy a set of alloy S4 mirrors as they are the samre shape as mine.
They came with complete minus the wiring, no problem as mine on the car wired.
I decided to just replace the mirror covers and keep the glass and motors spares.

After disassembly of my mirror cover on the car I tried to fit the new alloy cover.
Problem, the mount holes do not line up, one does, the other is off centre, the other is in a different place, dam!!

I then looked at taking my mirror off its mout on the car but I notice It is held on by a big spring compressed and a heavy circlip.
I guess if I take the circlip out will I be able to compress it back to hold the new mirror assy.

Any one done this or any suggestions please?

Regards,

Why not replace the complete unit?? You can replace the missing wiring with yours.

You're right - if you dismantle the circlip, it WILL fly apart, and you'd struggle to compress the spring sufficiently to replace the circlip (if it doesn't go missing).

My car is a '96, and I bought brand new RS4 cast aluminium units to replace the old plastic ones.

Direct fit.

I would like to replace the complete unit but the part that attaches to the door is missing.
thats why I asked about taking the spring out to fit in my door mount.
I guess the only option would be to drill a new hole in my exsisting motor plate and try to fit the caps only. any other ideas?

Yes, drilling new holes in the motor plate would be an idea.

Or, take both sets of mirrors to a bodyshop, and let them deal with the circlips and springs.

I took of my mirror caps and looked at fitting the Alloy caps,
cannot drill new hole in my plates as one hole goes where raised sharp edge of the molding.
Next is to find some old mirrors so I can remove the mounting to the door and spring/washer ect and put on my new Alloy mirrors.
Then remove my mirrors and fit new ones.
Need two mirror mounts, anyone got any?

I've got one, the passenger's side complete.

Richard, looking at £15 all inclusive of postage.

Hi Mate, I will have it.
How to pay? please advise, Thanks Richard.

Now I need a drivers side.