Airbag light issue

RobG1232000

Reaction score
Hi all - first post from a newbie S4 Avant (1998) owner here.

Airbag light is showing on the dash - have noticed that you can pick up reset tools on ebay fairly cheaply. Anyone ever used one of these? Do they work? Any info appreciated.

Cheers

Rob G

Mines allways been on,its usually the connection under the drivers seat,its been reset once but came back on after a week !!

Audi Sunderland reset mine for about £12 and let me drive around in a brand new A6 while they were tinkering. Mine hasn't come back on since and that was almost a year ago now.

Just remember if the light is on all your airbags are disabled regardless of whether there's a fault or not.

Just remember if the light is on all your airbags are disabled regardless of whether there's a fault or not.

You're better off buying a cheap Vagcom cable off eBay so you can reset the light yourself, once you've fixed the problem of course.

reset/code readers will only reset light if problem is fixed, usual problem seems to be loose connectors under seat, i have a code reader and a genuine vag-com dongle, code reader gives same results 9/10 times and you can keep it in glovebox

Thanks for everyones replies - will get it properly looked at. Loving the car BTW - should have bought one of these years ago!!

Rob,

Some info for you.
pre 2000 cars do not use gold plated connectors on the airbag wiring harness and as such you will receive High Resistance faults showing up on the code reader.
The main culprit is the connector under the drivers seat. There will be 2 connectors, one with 1 wire and one with 2 wires.
The best thing to do to prevent this code from coming up again is to cut off the connector and directly solder the wires together. I have done this on my 1998 and the code has never come back!
Make sure the ignition is not switched on while you are doing this + earth the soldering iron to the chasis to prevent any accidental airbag deployments. Mose soldering irons have the ability to earth them out.

VAG-COM USB cable can be purchased frrom ebay Seller - AlphaBid, for about £20 including postage from Canada. VAG Version 409.1 is a free download as shareware and can reset the airbag light.

Jim.

i got one of those but would not read module , full real vagcom had no problems

i wanted to know if this was the right one for my car and will it work with vista? this is the reply i got back from alpha bid

Our USB and Serial port Vag-Com Cable for version 409 will work on all VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda Vehicles unless the vehicle is on the CAN-BUS System. If your vehicle is an older one with the 2x2 connectors, you may add our 2x2 adapter. Check for a label under the hood to see if your vehicle is CAN-BUS. Many of the newer models use this CAN-BUS system. We do sell CAN-BUS enabled Vag-Com Cables here: http://www.alpha-bid.com/product222.html
As far as we know, the software is only compatable with the Operating Systems listed in the item description

is mine a CAN BUS or not?
and will this work with vista?

hi, your car is not can bus, check ross tech (they make vagcom) site for info on vag-com working on vista