What to do next

Broken Byzan

Photographic Moderator
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
DSC00186.jpg

After giving her a good blast today, the little rattle i had at a certain rev became more obvious, the oil temp shot up and the pressure dropped.

I havnt stuck the rod out the side,(only just) but its really not good.
She runs(just) but has a death knock now and obviously doesnt start well

I do not know what to do, do i break her, sell her as is, fix her with a used engine or build a new engine?

Is yours quattro i cant remember ?

Sorry to hear that though can you just not rebuild the bottom end using S3 crank rods etc?

nah 2wd, probably, just need to find somehere affordable, as i need a clutch too as i want to fit this 6 speed 'box too

Good thing maybe to do is write out a list of all the parts you have and what you may get for them.
And do the same to get it finished how you want it and fixes then choose also calculating in the cost of another car.
I know i would buy quite a bit from your car :)

Don't break her!! :ohmy:

I'm not that expensive either.

Well at the moment, without looking, its gonna be a regrind, rods,shells deffo rings maybe pistons, then if i do pistons do i rebore. I could do with what used to be called a short block, just whack a new oil pump in it and whack my head on

gggrrrrrr She was going really well just before too

after getting a 2nd hand engine before and coming away slightly bruised becaus eof it, i would go for a recon on yours by a good place. maybe dropping some stronger rods in in the process. wonder if JCB has any spare parts?

Nightmare fella, see ed if he has spares lying around, I've just priced new pistons for mine this week looking at around £500 - £600 for forged jobbies, you could go the S3 route for rods and pistons.

what clutch you fitting??

that doesnt look too bad, not a bad price what will those internals take BHP wise?

Thats not a bad price for the rods Dave, might have a look into getting some

VW 1.8 Turbo 20V SOHC 1781cc 20mm Pin:
-----------------------------------------------
Passat 20V (AFY 1997)
Passat Turbo 20V (AEB 96-98)
Engine
Codes Stock
Bore Includes: Kit #/Price
AFY
AEB 81mm Complete Gasket Set
MLS Head Gasket
Wiseco Forged Pistons
(8.5, 9.0, 9.5 mm Bore) and
(81, 81.5, 82mm compression)
Plasma Moly Rings
Performance Wrist Pins
TOGA HP Main Bearings
TOGA HP Rod Bearings
TOGA HP Valve Seals
Head Bolts

HP Kit w/TOGA Rods
£869

Plus whatever machining i need/rebore regrind. If the crank is FUBAR does anyone have a spare?
Add to that a spec clutch at just over 300.
GULP
A used engine looks like it will cost a good £600 with a few minutes warrenty,lol Then i still gotta chuck a cambelt etc on it And its an unknown quantity. hhhhhmmmmmmmm !!

Defo not really worth getting a second hand one when you can get that at that price.

i think she will live on, i can rebuild her better than before for a little over a grand. It was a close run thing tho between a rebuild or this http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/400400.htm

Anyone know how much it is to get a crank done now a days same for a rebore ?

If the crank id FUBAR does anyone have a spare?

I know, high ish mileage. Thats why we decieded to put mine back together it will more or less be a 2wd 1.8 S4 anyway. And everything will be new. And by then i should have my new "outlaw" SP1 turbo from Sean to play with.

I may try a Custom Code map tho,Just in case will i be ablt to tell if detonation caused my blow up? Ie running lean etc etc

if detonation was cause i think you would have damaged valves or pistons, eg pitting or just chunks missing.

Byzan A4 said:
i think she will live on, i can rebuild her better than before for a little over a grand. It was a close run thing tho between a rebuild or this http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/400400.htm

Anyone know how much it is to get a crank done now a days same for a rebore ?

If the crank id FUBAR does anyone have a spare?

Your be so glad you did not buy that, Link. I thought I had seen this car before but for the life of me I could not think why.

Could i whack an APU engine in here with my injectors/sensors etc. I am sure the engine block is basicly the same its just the head is a small port, but that wont make a huge difference as its only for BT where that will restrict isnt it?

i put an APU in mine for a while, it will be fine, just a couple of the sensors were different, but just use the ones off your AEB. Yes it has the small ports, but just use your old head i guess? or put it on later?

i ran the aeb inlet manifold as my APU was a DBW so didn't have the mounting bracket for the throttle cable setup.

the water temp sensor at the rear had different connector, but AEB one will fit.

i think the oil cooler may have had different sensors can't remember, i know that with my engine and the APU i had everything i needed.

where are you getting the APU from by chance?

also i think mine was out of a passat hence might be why sensors were different, not sure though.

Its an Off ebay offer jobbie, At the mo i just cant afford to build one so at lleast this way can get on the road while i build one. Also its had all the parts changed i would want to do anyway oil pump, cam kit etc etc

I ripped the head off today as i was bored and noticed a strange thing on cylinder 4. I realise there is coke on there but how then can i have "clean" bits? Is that from detonation as i thought that would be more centeral to the piston?

I understand the crank is knackered but that can't have caused this
100_1075.jpg

On a side note anyone want a good conditioned AEB head?

keep the AEB head for yourself as they are desirable.

i am not an expert but i think that looks ok to me. i can only think that myabe your injector spray pattern maybe better causing better atomisation, different cylinder temperatures, maybe different airflow into that cylinder caused by intake chamber/inlet manifold, different power coming from coil pack.

so many variables.

Its just the clean bits that worry me,lol
Ahh well too late on the head i have had to sell it to fund the clutch, but i have done lots of reading etc and the concensus is that unless i am running a BAT the large ports will not make any difference. In fact the may hinder swirl thru the ports into the cylinder. Make sense ??

yeah, sort of dose to me, my head wasn't polished that much because it is better to have slightly less smooth head on a turbo i was told, or just wasn't worth the extra effort. not an expert, but kinda made sense.

stick at it, it will all be good in the end........well that's what i keep telling myself :)