Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    6th Gear

Status

Spark Plugs query

I was supplied witha set of NGK Iridium IX plugs (BKR6EIX-11) are these suitable or correct for my chipped AEB 1.8 turbo?

Just trying to rule all options out before admitting defeat and buying a new MAF.

Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    i used to use bkr6e when i was chipped im now running bkr7e because im on nitrouse i wanted a colder stage of plug

i wouldnt bother with iridium just go for the copper ones but change them more often

gap them at 0.28 for chipped

TopGear Stockport / Longlife Exhausts /
    www.TopGearStockport.co.uk

6th Gear

Status
    Thanks, I'm pretty damn sure the gap isn't right on these plugs, I'm sure it's nearer 0.8.

I wouldn't have got the Iridiums either, waste of cash imho. The wife got them and fell for the spiel. Bless her. Always found stock plugs to give the best results on my Ford's but obviously my Audi isn't a Ford. lol

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    the later models (incl the 180 and 225 engines) have iridiums specificed from new accroding to autodata

when i buaght plugs for my AEB the bloke tried to flog me iridiums as thats what his computer specified. i quoted the autodata part number for the bosch copper ones and they were about 5x cheaper

6th Gear

Status
    Billybravo - You are a legend, I checked the plug gaps and they were miles out. Regapped to .28 as you suggested and the missfire under boost has gone and the whole thing seems a lot smoother. Petrol consumption is worse but I think that's down to me being able to (and using lots of) full throttle again.

Amazing how I missed something so Noddy, I'm kicking myself but thankful I didn't part with 200 odd for an un-needed MAF sensor.