Odd Jobs: Ashtray Stuck

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I think this might be a common issue with the B5 but im going to be doing some odd bits n bobs to it today (like cleaning it!) and wondered if there was an easy fix? i think i'll try and remove it and see if the mechanism needs a clean/oil but other than that im not sure what i should be doing?

Mine's stuck too, but I'm not too bothered. I'm fitting a facelift centre console, with double-DIN, as I intend to install my RNS-E soon.

It's pretty common on the pre-facelift cars.

it is a pain, try spray lube first !!!!!, took mine out to change cig lighter bulb, you have to remove handbrake console, centre console, stereo etc

erm you dont have to remove anything!

the ashtray is held in by two metal clips and just pops out of the console

i had a look at it and discovered that one of the gears had snapped and about 1/4 of it was missing, because of that the gear had slipped and lost the spring tension required to push it open, and the broken bit was jamming on the rail when it tried to move.

i wound the cog back a few turns to put some tension back on it and carefully reinserted the ashtray so that the broken part of the gear didnt actually get used (it doesnt do a full rotation) so now it works nicely.

Not that i smoke, but it was annoying me!

The next annoying job is my stereo ignition live, ie the loom doesnt have one. I had planned on taking a tap off the ignition switch and feeding a relay to switch the live into the headunit, however it seems to do that i need to remove the steering wheel and airbag etc to get into it. So after scouring the haynes wiring diagram ive discovered the heated rear window switch has a (BIG) ignition live running to the rear of it.

I think it will probably be the easiest place to take the feed from but does anyone have another point thats better/easier that that?

Also siena, whats this double din fascia and RNS-E?

No you can pick it up by just dropping the trim underneath the steering wheel, which is 3 or 4 screws IIRC.

i tried removing that shroud and got the top part off and the bottom parts screw out but it woudlnt move (it was loose but seemed to be still attached at the front). the haynes seemed to suggest that the steering wheel and airbag needed to come off to get the lower shroud off...

once the knee bolster is off you have access to the 75x connector and the 30 one, one is an perm live and the other an ignition with convenient m6 studs that you can undo and place the wire on them

hrm 75x and 30? i presume that once i remove this lower panel i will uncover some form of junction box? within which i will find the 75x and 30 connectors?

Byzan: do you have any information on fitting the fog lamps to your pre-facelift bumper??

elec130_DSC00625.jpg
borrowed from a US forum, but you will be looking at basicly the same

aragorn i like your method of ashtray removal, i dont beleive i stripped half my interior to push it out. twice!!!:huh: