New Discs needed, but what?

denzelburner

Reaction score
I know there are a few posts on this, but need a bit of help as I'm unclear on the exact options.

As you can see below, i've got the facelift 2.5tdi, and am needing new brake discs and pads. I'd like to go a bit bigger, but not sure which way to go, either RS4 for both front and rear, or RS6 front and RS4 rear.

What I'm unclear on are the extras needed for these. Do I need new calipers or will they fit straight on with nothing to do for either option? And what are the carriers?

Thanks for your help

maybe im wrong here but i had assumed that B5 RS4 and S4 front uprights used different brake mounting lugs to the rest of the range and therefore their calipers wont fit the lower models.

someone else can probably confirm this one way or another for you

Aragorn is right.

Your best option is A8 discs, and TT caliper carriers. A relatively simple conversion, the TT carriers allow the much bigger A8 disc to be fitted, by spacing out your existing caliper.

Not sure about the rear, I haven't much experience with FWD cars.

thanks for the replies Siena and Aragorn

would the A8 discs fit under 17" wheels, and with the different calipers, would that mean that i would need to change the brake reservoir as well?

you dont change the calipers just the carriers, so no need to change the brake reservoir,
changing the carriers pushes the clipers out futher allowing you to use the larger a8 discs

Siena said:
Aragorn is right.

Your best option is A8 discs, and TT caliper carriers. A relatively simple conversion, the TT carriers allow the much bigger A8 disc to be fitted, by spacing out your existing caliper.

Not sure about the rear, I haven't much experience with FWD cars.
Hi mate, is this the same for the pre facelift?
If I get TT carriers I would be able fit larger discs? (which pads would be needed? A8 or standard)

Thanks

Same for pre and post facelift.

the disks are also fitted to A6's

ive already looked into the rear and it seems that basically nothing can be done to upgrade the disks on FWD A4 B5's as they have the hub integrated into them unlike the rest of the range

one point i would make is that if your going to buy performance items, pads are much much more important than the disks. I personally would use OE disks from a motorfactors and something like ferodo DS2500 or Mintex 1144 pads

how about upgrading both disc and pad? mine really need replacing, and i thought i might as well better them while i need to replace my bearings, suspension and cv joints (gulp).

if it is not viable to upgrade the rear brakes, would this throw the correct bias out the window?

Is it worth fitting the TT calipers if using their mounts?
205man said:
standard or aftermarket pads but you dont need a8 pads as your keeping your original calipers

g60: they are the same.

denzel: as i said i'd fit OE replacement disks and some good pads like the DS2500's or Mintex 1144's, if you want to spend more money i'd spend it on Castrol SRF before better disks. It will shift the bias a little, but most of the braking is done on the front anyway so it wont cause any problems