Front Fogs

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My 1996 B5 has its front fog lamps integrated into the main headlights.

I'm looking to upgrade the headlights to the facelift style, however that will leave me without any front fogs as far as im aware?

Is there any easy way to fit fogs in the bumper with off the shelf parts or similar?

Cheers

Not really. The facelift front fogs don't fit in the pre face lift bumper. How often do you use your front fog lights though.

fit a facelift bumper to match lights, front mounts fit but you have to bodge side mountings (self tapping screws work) then if youve already got fogs extend wires to new fogs, always see them on ebay just need a bit of luck to find one in the right colour

My '96 car is running front foglamps, and OEM HID's. Easy to do.

I had to rewire the front foglamp switch, to get rid of the "cut out" feature. When you use main beam in cars with integral foglamps, the foglamp 12V+ is cut.

Mine work just like any facelift car now.

Randomjim said:
Not really. The facelift front fogs don't fit in the pre face lift bumper. How often do you use your front fog lights though.

Very true, Jim.

But the point Aragorn is making here is, how can he retain the front foglamps? I'm sure he knows they're not for normal driving, but the car DID leave the factory with front foglamps, why delete them if the switch / wiring is in place?

There's plenty we do on our cars, that are even less practical - increasing output, when there's no where to exploit the extra speed, unless on a track, having our cars very low etc. The list goes on dread.

Siena said:
Very true, Jim.

But the point Aragorn is making here is, how can he retain the front foglamps? I'm sure he knows they're not for normal driving, but the car DID leave the factory with front foglamps, why delete them if the switch / wiring is in place?

There's plenty we do on our cars, that are even less practical - increasing output, when there's no where to exploit the extra speed, unless on a track, having our cars very low etc. The list goes on dread.

Good point didn't think of that. Could try fitting the new rs6 led foglights.

Siena, any info on what i need to do then? Have you changed the bumper?

As for how much i use them, i drive on unlit country roads quite often and find that the front fogs help to fill in the edges which would normally be dark increasing the field of view and they still point towards the road and dont blind other drivers like the mains would. I dont drive around with them on all the time like some idiots do.

If it was impossible to do without major surgery then i'd just make do without them, but seen as the switch etc is there im just looking at what can be done to keep them!

actually i see you're running an RS4 front which probably explains why they fit.

One thing though, you say your using OEM HID's, if i were to get these instead of the halogen facelift lamps what exactly would i need? Is it just a case of getting the headlamps ballasts and wiring loom?

aragorn said:
actually i see you're running an RS4 front which probably explains why they fit.

One thing though, you say your using OEM HID's, if i were to get these instead of the halogen facelift lamps what exactly would i need? Is it just a case of getting the headlamps ballasts and wiring loom?

Lol, me running an RS4 front end...

...The whole car is running RS4 body panels, front, rear, sides. The whole lot.

If you go OEM facelift halogens or HID's, the connections are both the same, the HID's have the ballasts built into the bottom of the headlamps.

You just need to cut off the plug from a facelift car, cut yours, and the colours are the same, so just solder and heat-shrink the joins.

You CAN run facelift front bumper and foglamps. Or, run facelift foglamps in your stock bumper. The US never got our facelift front bumper, but the DID get foglamps. Just need to make up brackets behind the end grilles, if you don't want to replace your bumper.

Headlamp leveling motor on HID's is integral, so the wiring is part of the main plug, but again, the colour codes remained the same.

did U.S cars have different bumpers? tried fitting fogs in pre facelift but gave up, fogs would just about fit at wrong angle but grills wouldnt. did manage to bodge pre + post grills together but couldnt get fogs to line up,will post some pics if someone can tell me how?
siena how many times have you been asked where can i get one of those bodykits?

US-spec bumpers on pre and fafacelift are pretty much like the pre facelift UK-spec, though they probably have different backings, with foglamp brackets built in.

From what you've posted above, it'll probably just be best to buy used facelift bumpers, and use matching foglamps.

Bodykit? It's not a bodykit on my car. All are genuine RS4 steel panels, from front to back, front bumper is genuine RS4, rear is genuine Euro S4.

i know its not a bodykit, was just wondering how many times youve had to explain that its not a bodykit:laugh:

Mine wasnt fitted with front fogs so will there be any wiring in place for the switch/lamps or will i have to start from scratch ??

The lights on ebay are from a preface lift s4,facelift models are one piece,i think the hid's were standard on the s4/rs4 only but im not 100% sure !!

barring the ebay, can anyone recommend a good audi breakers that do mail order for stuff like headlights?

thanks

Aragorn, yes, mine are 1-piece HID's.

HID's were an option on all B5's, bar the RS4.

The wiring is NOT in place on non-foglamp cars, although it's inside the car.

Early S4's had HID's as an option, became standard from the '99.5 model year.