2.8 Quattro Noisy Gearbox?

d5aul

Reaction score
Due to giving up the Company Car (06 A4) I have been looking at cars to replace it with.
Today I looked at a 1997 2.8 Quattro, the car only has 76k miles showing & is really tidy, however on the road test I observed a whining noise whilst in 1st gear, the noise didn't get any louder under load, although the pitch changed as the engine revs increased, the noise completely disapered once out of first gear.
Has anyone had any experience of this type of problem? would it be anything to worry about?

Mine's the same. The first cog must be scored, hence the racket.

Mine hasn't gotten any worse, and I've got a client that runs a '98 A6 2.8Q, noisy too, and hasn't changed in 4 years.

Mine did this for ages, just thought it was normal, but it ended up needed a new gearbox, but it had done 140k miles by then so can't grumble.

Mine's done 207,000 miles. Still, not worried. I'm fitting my DSY (6-speed) in the summer.

Thanks for the replies, seems to be quite a common problem.
I did manage to view another Quattro & the gearbox was as quiet as any other car, its just a shame that the rest of the car was in such bad shape!

Has anyone paid to have a gearbox changed on a Quattro, if so, what sort of cost are you looking at?

mine is 2wd 1.8 and whines in 2nd all other gears fine. HHMM i may have a spare V6 2wd box soon if anyone needs one..... Worth a try. he he he

When I had mine done it was £1100 incl fitting & VAT. That was on my 2.8Q & was for an exchange unit and also included a new clutch.