where on a v6 could there be a oil leak?

nomadx

Reaction score
Ithink I have aoil leak on my 2.8 v6 quattro. Its smelling very strong on the drivers side of the engine, neasr the dip stick. Any ideas where I should be looking for a potential leak?

V6 engine oil leaks, common spost:

1) Rocker panel gaskets
2) Oil filter housings
3) Dipstick tube-to-block O-ring
4) Oil pressure switch
5) The aluminium cover housing, that sits between the V. The most common source of trouble.

Siena said:
V6 engine oil leaks, common spost:

3) Dipstick tube-to-block O-ring

5) The aluminium cover housing, that sits between the V. The most common source of trouble.

I think it may be the dipstick o - ring, the smell is very strong in that area. Also how do I sort the cover housing? And is there a guide to either job?

Thanks for all the help!

The aluminium cover within the V involves removing the injectors, the PAS pump, the intake plenum. a bit involved if spanners aren't your forte, but not difficult. Just buy a new gasket from Audi, and replace.

The dipstick tube is easy, there's a bolt that holds the tube in place. Unbolt, and the dipstick tube just pulls out. the O-ring is then slid off, and a new one fitted.

another common place is the oil pipe that joins the two V's together. It runs across the front of the engine and down each side at the top.

If you take the plastic engine cover off you cant miss it.

This can leak at the back and drop oil onto the exhaust manifold. I tried to repair mine many times on my old 2.8 and in the end bought a new one off the dealer. Think it cost me about £50

Simon