Drive-by-Wire

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I want to check whether my A4 (1999 post-facelift 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic) has a drive-by-wire throttle system. What do I look for?

It might sound a bit obvious, but it's never a stupid question if you'd don't the answer

Hope someone can help

JEFF

I was wondering why i got shafted with the non-digital clock

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
DBW cars had the CAN bus, which means you'll have a digital clock on your tacho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Digital clock does not equal CAN bus... The A3/A4 from 1999 had digital clock but no CAN bus.

Best way to check for DBW is to look at the intake plenum on the engine for a sign of a cable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Digital clock defiantely equals CAN bus. CAN & digital clock introduced 8/99, very few cars for 99 mostly all 2000. (You see a lot of 1999 facelift A4's with the analogue clock)

There are a few facelift cars that didn't have DBW and CAN, ones to get as respond well to tuning but have the facelift extras.

Mine's a 99 T-reg (I think it was July), and it has an analogue clock. The reason I want to know is that Fontain do a OEM cruise control retro-fit for £350, but it's only for DBW cars.

Looking at the manual it seems all cars from 99 onwards had electronically-operated throttle valve.

I can also find reference to cars from 96 onwards having Throttle position sensor whihc suggest to me that these cars had DBW also.

I'll do a bit more digging

[ QUOTE ]
Anito said:
I can also find reference to cars from 96 onwards having Throttle position sensor whihc suggest to me that these cars had DBW also.

[/ QUOTE ]

TPS has nothing to do with drive by wire.

Thanks for the input, guys. I guess the only way to be sure is to get my head under the bonnet, remove the plastic hoardings & look for a throttle cable into the injection system.

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
Jeff - take a pic of your engine bay for me, and the T/B area

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool! It'll be a day or two before I can do that, but cheers, pal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Just got this back from someone else on another forum

"1.8T went to DBW in 2000. 2.8 went to DBW in 99.5. S4(2.7T) was always DBW"

My 2p. My last 1997 S4 didn't have a digi clock but it was DBW. but then that's standard for the 2.7 twin turbo engine.