to front mount intercooler or not!

g60leigh

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a autobahn88 fmic. but not sure if I would be wasting my money?
I have a 96 a4 1.8T. it is aeb engine. revo chip. n75j valve. forge recirc valve. k&n panel filter and jetex stainless exhaust.
car is running 11-12psi boost
Do you guys think I will get any benefit from a front mount intercooler (standard bumper)
Thanks people

Have you run Vagcom logs to see what your IAT's are with your current setup?

I wouldn't have thought an FMIC would give you much benefit unless you are running high boost or living somewhere with high ambient temperatures.

g60leigh said:
Thinking of getting a autobahn88 fmic. but not sure if I would be wasting my money?
I have a 96 a4 1.8T. it is aeb engine. revo chip. n75j valve. forge recirc valve. k&n panel filter and jetex stainless exhaust.
car is running 11-12psi boost
Do you guys think I will get any benefit from a front mount intercooler (standard bumper)
Thanks people

The engines i work with boost at 2.6 Bar (36-37 psi) and the intake manifold air temp is normally around 25 centigrade. thats with a front mount intercooler.:) :) :)

i have similar setup and yes it made a difference, i think most noticably will be in the summer as my intake temps felt high when driving.

i have cut away front of bumper though so fully exposed, have got an s4 bumper going on once i get the new mounts.

not sure how good it will be on a non cut bumper.

If you afford a FMIC, then go for it, Im sure you will notice a difference :)

It will lower temps best to try and do before and after tests to be sure, also looks cool and they are not that expensive.

proper ducting lessens the slice and dice approach to your bumper.
it certainly made a difference on mine

Going to stick with standar one for now and spend money elsewhere. any sugesstions? :jump:

the one from the airbox, with all the off shoot pipes? I have ordered Autobah88 kits for both sides of intercooler

Should be posting them tomorrow mate :)

The vacum hose was not inculded in this as per the pics but i will chuck on in as i found it in the garage yesterday.