Engine swap Anyone know?

AUDIXXX

Reaction score
My 1.8se engine has basically died due to the oil being caked up and clogging the internals. The mechanic said he could take it apart and get it dipped in acid, to get it running, but he was afriad that after all that, there would be still problems. Sooooooooo, he suggested replacing the whole engine, but the thing is if im going to spend the money on it, i would rather put something bigger in it to keep it. The cars only worth about 1000 quid, so if im going to spend money on it id keep it. I suggested a 1.8T engine, but will anything else fit it bearing in mind that its only a 1.8se. Does anyone know if insurance would kill me being only 23 with no no claims under my parents name, i can get insured on the new shape 1.8t quattro sport (as i was planning on getting) but i was wondering because its an engine conversion if they would charge more than if it was an original. Can someone tell me if anything bigger than a 1.8t can fit in, and if anyone knows of someone selling an engine... I really need to get the car running so if someone knows where i can source one it would be a big help. Please keep a look out for either a 1.8t engine or a crashed doner car, looks like im gonna have to go all out :) mod mod mod

OHHHH yeah, i forgot, will it be possible to a a quattro engine in a non quattro car??

cheers

Yes, any engine can be fitted. The engine mounts are pretty much bolt on, so if going from a 4 cylinder to a V6, it's just as easy.

Most insurance companies place a higher premium on capacity increases, so going to a 1.8T may not cost as much as you think.

No such thing as a quattro engine. Quattro only refers to the transmission.

I have a complete S4 2.7 Biturbo, complete with wiring harness and ECU. An easy conversion in your car, seeing as it's a facelift model. Let me know if you're interested.

big job if you don't know how.
expensive job if you get someone else to do it.

easiest increase in dispacement for you is a 1.8-2.0 increase. either through block swap or a block bore and rebuild.
you can keep you current ecu and all other bits, you just get a nice bit of torque down low

S4??????? i dont know if i could get insured on that. I am very interested though, would it be classed as a proper s4 by the insurers??? My mechanic is charging me 200 for labour.

If you wanted to fit a 1.8 t, its doeable as i have done it, but you either need lots of patience or a donor car, as there are plumbing,induction, and wirning diferences etc
I did it as it was less work that swapping the rest of my mods over, and to see if i could do it,lol

I have found a 2.6 engine if anyone knows if its easier, plus its the whole doner car. now its the insurance thats hasseling me, they wont give a qoute unless i get an engineers report. Are the 2.6 engines tunable?? Worried they wont insure me...

seems like the 2.4 engine is quicker than the 2.6 :s hmmmmmmm.... confused. 2.6 will feel alot different from the 1.8se though???

AUDIXXX said:
I have found a 2.6 engine if anyone knows if its easier, plus its the whole doner car. now its the insurance thats hasseling me, they wont give a qoute unless i get an engineers report. Are the 2.6 engines tunable?? Worried they wont insure me...

2.4 engine IS quicker, it's 15-20PS more.

A bit long in the tooth for your late car though, wiring will be more of an issue too, as all 2.6 engines will have the early-style loom, and connectors.

easiest option anyone? thanks for the replies so far but i still cant decide lol i like the idea of the 2.4 but i have found the 2.6 already for cheap...

AUDIXXX said:
easiest option anyone? thanks for the replies so far but i still cant decide lol i like the idea of the 2.4 but i have found the 2.6 already for cheap...

Well, let me help you decide - the 2.6 is NOT compatible with your car! In terms of wiring, instrument cluster etc. Forget it!

The 2.4 however is a better option. The fact the 2.6 is cheap isn't a deciding factor, or at least, shouldn't be. Unless you're prepared to downgrade your car, and install the complete wiring harness from a 2.6? Then you'll have issues with your facelift interior - clocks, climate control, centre console, switchgear, central locking etc.

Do you want me to go on?

thats all i needed to know, i will be looking for a 2.4 then, how about the 2.8 or the 1.8t??? i really want the 1.8t but theres apparently alot more work involved...

There's no more work involved in fitting the 1.8T at all, if your mechanic says that, then he shouldn't be wielding a spanner anywhere near a car.

2.4 / 2.8 are also easy, make sure the 2.8 is a 30V unit, (ACK) as early ones were 12V (AAH). All 2.4's are 30V.

thank you for your help guys, in the end i found the exact 1.8se engine so im just going to replace it and sell it for a faster model. MY mechanic must have meant there would be more things to source like intercoolers etc??? and apparently the fuel lines and everything need changing? whats dones done, also saves me hassling the insurers etc.

I hope the engine swap goes smoothly now that you are replacing like for like

Let us know when its all done :icon_thumright:

done, and instead of selling it, im happy enough to keep it, yes i want a turbo but that day will come. just not now. Drives like new, didnt realise how much power was lost in the old engine, the oil was all clogged causing it to back fire because of the valves or something???? goes like it should, not fast but fast enough for the roads lol

Glad you got that sorted out. :icon_thumright: