Chris NottMonster Motorsport

Thread: Air filter!?

..got my head together!

Status

Air filter!?

I'm using a Pipercross foam type filter at present which repaces the bottom half of the standard air box.. still uses the standard air duct to channel the flow of air too.

The filter works well and makes a nice but not stupid induction sound, it does require oiling for dust/dirt retention and I have heard a few people going on about the oil messing up the MAF.

Is this a real problem? I have been using the filter for about a year now without any trouble but wondered if anybody has actually experienced any problems?

Surely Pipercross have enough knowledge of cars not to produce a filter which damages the users car??

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I think the issue is when people over oil the filter when they come to clean it.

But yes, too much oil does lead to some getting sucked through and can coat the MAF sensor, causing it to fail prematurely.
    Mo power, mo problems

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Goodall
    I'm using a Pipercross foam type filter at present which repaces the bottom half of the standard air box.. still uses the standard air duct to channel the flow of air too.

The filter works well and makes a nice but not stupid induction sound, it does require oiling for dust/dirt retention and I have heard a few people going on about the oil messing up the MAF.

Is this a real problem? I have been using the filter for about a year now without any trouble but wondered if anybody has actually experienced any problems?

Surely Pipercross have enough knowledge of cars not to produce a filter which damages the users car??
    where did you get that from mate i have only seen cone ones before

..got my head together!

Status

Air filter..

Got it from GSF but saw one fitted on a VW Carrado before that so had a good idea of what I was looking for.. works well but I don't want to kill my MAF sensor!

..got my head together!

Status

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    K&N make them for the 1.8t but everyone knows they "can" kill your MAF.

check out the forums on VW Vortex, someone did a gass flow analysis of the usual suspects for proper comparison. they also did the ususal cone/CAI/RAM assemblies and the winner........

OEM airbox with smoothed internals and an OEM panel. They added a CAI to the base of the air box that led to the bumper

..got my head together!

Status

Smoothed airbox

..yeah think the shaved box and CAI is going to be the way forward, probably stick to standard filter panels too.

Want to buy a pipercross filter?!? lol

6th Gear

Status
    Not too sure where the airbox is in the 1.8T, but a common 'mod' for S4 owners is to either drill holes in the bottom of the airbox, or even cut off the lower corner.

I've got an RS4 airbox in mine which were factory fitted with an extra hole in the side of the airbox which could be opened by the ECU when more air was needed.
    Mo power, mo problems

6th Gear

Status
    I would NEVER use a foam filter, or recommend the use of one.

Apart from the MAF issues, they also shorten the life of the turbo. Foam degrades, breaks down, and mixes with the oil mist which is always present in the intake system.

This forms a lethal paste, and the turbo bearings will suffer before long. many an engine I've rebuilt, that was run with a foam filter, has had that gooey past in the turbo cold side.

Now, you don't have to take my advice, but I've given it anyway. The OEM paper filter works great, as long as it's replaced regularly, and kept clean. So far, there have been conclusive tests, that show that paper filters work better over a wider operating range, with regards to load and rpm.

Owner

Status
    I had a piperx one on for a year and had no problems. But my fuel consumption was a hell of a lot worse. I get about 80 more miles to a tank with the standard base.

I wonder if I put holes or a hose to the bottom of the airbox this would benifit me any?? I have an S4 wheel arch liner with the cuts in it at the moment.
    A4 1.8T Quattro, FMIC, Coilovers, B&M short shift, 312mm Brakes, Stage 4 clutch, Awe Gauge, Uprated antiroll bars, plus more bits. Pics Here

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupie69uk
    I had a piperx one on for a year and had no problems. But my fuel consumption was a hell of a lot worse. I get about 80 more miles to a tank with the standard base.

I wonder if I put holes or a hose to the bottom of the airbox this would benifit me any?? I have an S4 wheel arch liner with the cuts in it at the moment.
    isn't that for I/C airflow?

hole in the airbox can increase hot air going in, especially at low speeds.
    better to cut a hole and put a length of pipe in there down to the back of the bumper

Owner

Status
    There was one for the i/c flow on the passenger side arch but I also got one for the drivers side for when I had the piperx.

I may look at doing this hose then, dont want to increase the amount of hot air.
    A4 1.8T Quattro, FMIC, Coilovers, B&M short shift, 312mm Brakes, Stage 4 clutch, Awe Gauge, Uprated antiroll bars, plus more bits. Pics Here

..got my head together!

Status

Filter CAI with smoothed air box..

I'm getting rid of the pipercross, cleaning the MAF sensor and going back to the standard but totally smoothed air box with standard paper filter but..

I want to fit a CIA directly into the bottom of the airbox but can't really see anywhere that lets enough cold air through to make this beneficial.

..If anybody has done this on a 1.8t then where was it?

3rd Gear

Status
    im using a k+n at mo but that it on my 1.8 t a4 ........aprt from noise didnt feel much different but im concered about maf getting damaged and come on lets be onest the air filter faces the wrong way it facing the bloody engine so i MIGHT buy one of those carbon fibre cylinder ones where in black casings and feed to the bottom of car it might reduce noise but atleast proteced from the stupid amounts of heat that the engine produces
    Modified primera :-)

3rd Gear

Status
    BECAREFUL WHEN CLEANING MAF'S

my self and a few other people have been caught out by just how delicate these are, even when taking extreme care. They have a very fine part of the circuit board as well as the main bit. sometimes if rushing not clearly seen.

just a warning, as it would've saved me £80 for an exchange one.
    1998 A4 1.8T Sport - For Saturdays
    2003 VW Golf MKIV R32 - For Sundays
    2000 Peugeot 406 HDi - For when it's raining
    1996 Kawasaki ZX7R - For when I'm late for work!

Mods- Forge Dump Valve, The Engine Shop Power Plus based Engine (Low Comp. Forged pistons, Arrow H-Section Rods, Newman fast road cams, polished & ported head), 19" wheels, B&M Short Shifter, Greddy Turbo Timer, RS4 Grill, Weitec GTN coilovers, HKS modified air filter, Autobahn88 FMIC, ChippedUK custom map. Some Turbo mods ongoing.

..got my head together!

Status

MAF sensor cleaning..

I've got a circuit board/electrical component cleaner aerosol which I was just going to give the MAF sensor a few coats with.. wasn't planning on touching the sensor.

The aerosol should be fine shouldn't it?!??

In two minds

Status
    The 200SX forumers all use brake cleaner
    Skint because of my car, the forums made me do it

..got my head together!

Status
    ..if the cleaner I've got is no good then I'll probably give the brake cleaner a go. Cheers.

3rd Gear

Status
    can't comment on what cleaner to use, i used electrical contact cleaner and an ear bud type thing, though even small pressure on the sensor snapped it. if i were to do it again i will be very very careful.

to be honest i am of the opinion now that if it idels fine with std airbox attached and no error codes, then just leave it.

rough idle problems are usually due to the non standard air filter.
    1998 A4 1.8T Sport - For Saturdays
    2003 VW Golf MKIV R32 - For Sundays
    2000 Peugeot 406 HDi - For when it's raining
    1996 Kawasaki ZX7R - For when I'm late for work!

Mods- Forge Dump Valve, The Engine Shop Power Plus based Engine (Low Comp. Forged pistons, Arrow H-Section Rods, Newman fast road cams, polished & ported head), 19" wheels, B&M Short Shifter, Greddy Turbo Timer, RS4 Grill, Weitec GTN coilovers, HKS modified air filter, Autobahn88 FMIC, ChippedUK custom map. Some Turbo mods ongoing.

..got my head together!

Status
    ..ok now I'm scared to clean it anyway!

I'll set the old air box back up (with smoothed internals) and new paper filter and see how it goes before attempting any cleaning.

In two minds

Status
    What do you mean by smoothed internals? When you say paper filter do you mean an aftermarket or OEM paper filter?

Brake cleaner removes the dust on contact (apparently) and then evaporates, so no need to physically touch the componant.

Anyway, did bugger all for my 200sx but it was only on 50K, people with higher mileage reported smoother running

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bong Water
    What do you mean by smoothed internals? When you say paper filter do you mean an aftermarket or OEM paper filter?
    OEM Unit
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)

..got my head together!

Status
    Yeah the OEM paper type filter with the internal bits of the air box all cut off and smoothed down for better airflow.

Think the cleaner I've got should work in the same way as the brake cleaner does on the MAF sensor.

In two minds

Status
    Thanks, sounds like a similar mod that I did to my civic, on the Civic it gave better top end but reduced throttle response a bit, also sounded nice.

Any walk throughs anywhere or pics? Always interested in simple and effective mods

Cheers

..got my head together!

Status
    VW Vortex has some interesting bits on.. a lot of people mention about a CAI going into the base of the air box and down to behind the bumper for more cold air.

Going to have a look at the weekend to see if I can get the positioning right for a CIA but if not I'll stick with the standard inlet alone.

..got my head together!

Status

Shave ya box!

Fitted my shaved air box with a cold air intake.. had to go in through the side (tight to the bottom corner) of the air box as there's a big piece of metal directly below the box.

The CIA goes from there and down to directly behind the far left (facing) bottom air vent in the bumper, I cable tied it to the bracket used for the horn so it can't move out of position. I cut the bottom to blanked off sections of the vent out to let more air through.

Good results.. running much smoother than the Pipercross and sounds good too.

In two minds

Status
    Pics

Never heard of VW Vortex, is it a forum? Ill have a look

..got my head together!

Status
    I'll get some pics later and put them on.. kinda working at the mo!

Have a look at..
    http://www.vwvortex.com/

Like this but with less holes..
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2260654

In two minds

Status
    Thanks for the links, think I am going to leave mine totally standard

..got my head together!

Status
    Yeah.. I only did it because I saw some test results somewhere on there with various different intake setups including induction kits etc.. and the shaved box with CIA came out top for all round performance!

If I were you I'd do it.. your life will be better! lol

In two minds

Status
    It looks like its done just for noise, some parts of the air box on cars are designed to keep intake noise down, I removed the resonator box on my Civic and it made more noise but not really much in the way of performance other than right at the top end, I cant see it making it noticibly quicker myself, just the noise making you think its quicker, the back to back tests I would take with a pinch of salt

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bong Water
    Pics

Never heard of VW Vortex, is it a forum? Ill have a look
    Link search air box mod in archive
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)

..got my head together!

Status
    There's more cold air going into the air box so if you're tuning your car it'll be benefitial. Other cars have vents that open when more air is needed and more intakes into the box.

By 'sounds good' I meant better than the loud sucking sound the Pipercross filter makes and the almost dump valve like sound has gone when you come off of the throttle too.

..anyway each to their own hey.

In two minds

Status
    I see what you mean about the cold air and I prefer the more subtle noise over an open cone too, good on you for getting it done, I just CBA! I really want some wheels