Sky InsuranceVolks Autos

Thread: K-03

Reverse Gear

Status

K-03

What is the maximum ammount of boost that the stock K-03 turbo can support without being damaged or experiencing side effects?

Thanx

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status

Re: K-03

I'll have to watch out for that one, thanx!

Reverse Gear

Status

If anyone is interested, I found an answer to my own question. But some of it seems more like opinion rather than fact. http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/110754.phtml
    "According to Turbonetics in Moorpark, California, the stock K03 is happiest at about 12 pounds of boost because of the design of the blades: Going much further doesn't produce any really usable power. The K03 also uses a very small 4mm turbo shaft. Because of its size, the shaft becomes unstable excessive rpm, regardless of how well the turbo is balanced. As the shaft becomes unstable, it wobbles, and if the shaft wobbles, the blades will eventually scuff the side of the housing ... or worse. Another limitation is the boost level itself. As was mentioned earlier, the K03 doesn't produce very good boost beyond about 12 lbs. The blade pitch is not designed to sustain boost beyond that threshold. This limits the 1.8T to about 200 hp with the stock K03 turbo."

Any insight on this is much appreciated.

Thanx

Reverse Gear

Status

If anyone is still interested, a compressor map for the K-03 can be found at
    http://home.comcast.net/~s4what/images/s4-k03_lg.jpg

K-04 compressor map
    http://home.comcast.net/~s4what/images/k04-0025.jpg

5th Gear

Status

What I'D be interested in (Great info btw greski [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]) is knowing which engines Audi put the K03S on [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

Reverse Gear

Status

If anyone is looking for some explanations and theories behind turbocharing, or wondering what the heck a compressor map is, check out this site http://www.turbocalculator.com/how-to-read.html Pretty easy to understand, not too technical that even a newb could understand.

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Drill said:
    What I'D be interested in (Great info btw greski [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]) is knowing which engines Audi put the K03S on [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

A3 - 2000>
    A3 Quattro - All
    TT 180 - All
    TT150 Frontrack - all
    A4/A6 1.8T - 2001>(?)

Think thats it.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I've a 2001 model, built in 2000 which I think may have a std K03 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I just can't get a good enough look at the turbo to see the data plate [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]