99 alternator and fuse ?

Alex Schmitt

Reaction score
ok i had my 99 a4 quattro not start the other day, so i jumped it and drove it to work at oreilly auto parts. The battery tested bad because it wouldnt hold a charge and wouldnt really charge at all. I tested the alternator and it read good voltage good amps, but bad diodes. I heard from a guy in my area that works on nothing but audi's and vw's he said there is an inline fuse within the althernator somewhere that goes out and can be triggered by a bad battery. is this true? if so where? he said most ppl just change the alt and still have that problem.

Airbag light will have been caused by very low voltage when you tried to start th car. Just needs to be reset via VAGCOM. A fuse inside the alternator? Why? And why would this blow if you had a duff battery? And why would replacing the alternator not cure such a fault if there is such a thing. Sounds bogus to me. The whole point of fuses is to protect a circuit and also be easily replaceable. An alternator generates current, why would it need a fuse?