German syle plates

griswold

Reaction score
Just got questioned as to why i have german style plates by armed police!
didnt think it was that serious!

Warned me of a clampdown on plates in the south wales area and let me off with 7 days to change them back.
Will miss them.

Makes me glad I didnt order, just ordered to plain normal clean plates, cant be ***** with jumped up coppers with nothing better to do than give me grief

w@nkers, as if there is nothing better to enforce. too many targets for the police to hit so they do the easy stuff first!

From what I read it's police across the whole country and not just S Wales who are targetting mis-spaced, illegal fonts and Euro style plates. I think it goes on for the next 4 weeks or so.

plates in italics or stupidly spaced letters which obscures the identity of the car/owner are in some cases harmless and just a bit of showmanship but in other cases are a blatant attempt to evade speed cameras, ANPR cameras and off course the human eye.

More than 50% of thefts of fuel from petrol stations involve some tampering with the registration plate, either false stolen ones or ones which have been changed slightly to cause confusion when viewed on cctv.

ANPR cameras are dotted around the country and are put there for one reason and one reason only to detect criminals and their movements,

unfortunately they fail to recognise some number plates due to letter spacings and designs so we have drug dealers, rapists, house breakers, murderers, illegal immigrants and those who are plotting terrorist events against us.

I personally am thinking about getting a private plate but won't mess with it as I hate fines and am non of the above.

it does stand out with a fancy plate and I think it looks good but the italics etc and putting a black mark between two 1's to make an H is a **** take really! that\s better kept for shows/meets/photography purposes.

There is absolutely no need for those daft plates written in Italics, and don't have any idea why anyone would want them. They just look like they should be on a chavved up hatchback.

Warned a friend about the checks and he told me someone else he knew got fined £30 recently for german style plates so i was lucky!
I think that changing numbers for letters and spacing to spell names is pushing it.

I got fined twice for having them and after being pulled 3 times for them i put my old ones back on.

Got pulled for my German style plates last night:no: :asskicking:

I pleaded ignorance (which isn't hard for me) and said "sorry officer, i assumed they were legal as i see so so many Polish and Lithuanian plates around"

Anyway, my ignorance paid off and got away with a "get it fixed" note and NO FINE!

So boring legal plates are going back on tomorrow, but quick release fixings over the top of the pressed plates so i dont wreck the german plates pulling them off!

They cost me £30....and they aint sitting in the garage for nobody!;) :p

Mine just went straight through its mot with german style pressed metal plates on. Result! Never even thought about changing them to be honest.

stapo69 said:
Mine just went straight through its mot with german style pressed metal plates on. Result! Never even thought about changing them to be honest.

Mine went through MOT too....but traffic law is different.

:rulez: Incorrect letter style (font), "D" instead of "GB", No British Safety mark and no suppliers details on the bottom! Apart from that....legal!!!!

FYI:

A nationwide crackdown on illegal number plates begins today with motorists facing fines of up to £1,000.

Operation Larch is a week-long national campaign to step up enforcement of current regulations and officers will target vehicles with misrepresented plates.

Illegal alterations rangefrom changes to the layout of plates or use of non-standard fonts, through the use of tape, screws, and other objects to obscure plates, to sophisticated measures such as the use of stolen or false number plates to clone vehicles.

Frank Whiteley, ACPO lead on Automatic Number Plate Recognition and Chief Constable of Hertfordshire Constabulary, said: ‘Criminals make use of vehicles to commit crimes and in some cases, will tamper with number plates in order to try and avoid detection by roadside cameras. Operation Larch will bear down on this growing concern as part of The Police Service’s ongoing campaign to target criminals through their use of the roads.

‘It is not known how many motor vehicles display misrepresented number plates or how many are driven by active criminals, but Operation Larch will provide intelligence for the first time on the link between this offence and broader criminality, and inform a debate around the tightening of legislation around number plate offences.’

Police warn that not only do drivers face fines, their registration mark may be withdrawn without any compensation, and cars may fail their MOTs.

jcs356 said:
FYI:

A nationwide crackdown on illegal number plates begins today with motorists facing fines of up to £1,000.

The Police Service’s ongoing campaign to target criminals through their use of the roads.

I did read that in the paper too!

What a load of ********!

So if you want to commit murder, robbery or rape...just make sure your number plates are legal.:think:

Which is why I prefer nice, genuine Audi Main Dealer licence plates.

"Funny plates" aren't worth the grief.

All over the news this week, as too many "illegal plates" about!!!

plod in cumbria are cracking down on illegal plates until 4th feb

I bet he wasn't driving a Range Rover, Bentley or something similar. It seems if you have a posh car and loads of money it doesn't matter about dodgy number plate spacing.

One rule for them.........

Can you believe it?

Stuck my new legal plates on this morning, for the MOT inspection, and the bleeding things fell off this evening. Can you ****** believe it? Good job my german plates were still underneath eh?
Must get round to sticking them back on again!

Ha ha yea god knows why he bought it. Could of got a decent A3 1.8t for the amount he paid for it too.

I got a fixed penalty last night. Whilst the car was parked outside my house :busted_cop:.

Cheeky barsteward even put a copy of one of the DVLA's guides in with the FPN slip!

I've paid the fine (coudn't really deny guilt TBH!) but made a complaint that I wasn't allowed to plead ignorance/remove the plates beforehand by way of a defect notice. I'd heard a knock at the door the previous night but didn't answer it (mainly because I'd have been arrested for a more serious offence) so the **expletives censored** came back the night after, armed with his FPN, printout and pen, didn't bother knocking again and issued the ticket. I hope his balls drop off if (and I suspect this isn't the case) he has any.

Rant over, feel better now.

mine are just german style lettering with no D or GB euro flags at either side and no ilegal spacing been pulled for that long ago in my polo. had no bother with them before of any of my cars besides the spacing on my polo. only thing the plod pulled me for on the M25 was tints, they just told me to fix them but i never did! i don't live round there so am i bovered!

I got stopped yesterday for having a jamaica flag on mine , all fonts spacing etc is ok after explaining why he went on to say "so its a bora isnt it?" i said no so he says "ah its a passat" i just laughed and said its a audi S4 he said oh so what is it an A3!!!!!!
Got to fill in a for was late for work , buy new plates get a MOT stamp and return within 14 days to the police station 5 miles away

Sounds like the same tit that issued mine Andy. At least you were given 14 days though.

sitrials said:
mine are just german style lettering with no D or GB euro flags at either side and no ilegal spacing

Mine are the same - German font, no flag and the spacing is right. The only difference is that I've got 2 stadt stickers on.

What really naffs me off is all the polish plates I see - bet none of them gets stopped.

This was an article in the sunday mirror today:

REGISTER AN APPEAL NOW

Ollie Mishcon 17/02/2008

Q My partner was stopped by a traffic officer and issued with a £30 fine for an illegal registration plate because the letters and numbers lean slightly forward and have rounded edges.
She pleaded to be given a caution and promised to fit standard-issue plates - but her request was refused.
She was told that the plates legislation had been in force since January 26, 2007.
I am disgusted at the Government's complete and utter failure to notify drivers about this change in the law.
As far as I'm concerned no notification has been issued.
I have the radio on throughout my working day and catch the news in the evening on TV. Can they really do this? We are told about changes in tax and fuel rises. We are told about changes to MoT rules, so why not this?
Drivers should be warned so that they can comply.
When you consider how many people are out there with no tax, insurance or MoTs, frankly it's pathetic. Can I appeal? Your advice will be greatly appreciated - P. Matthews, by email

A yes you can and MUST appeal. It is disgraceful when tickets are issued for minor vehicle defects without giving the motorist an opportunity to rectify them.
I am not aware of the changes you describe and having checked with the DVLA, nor are they!
The most practical advice I can give you is to buy a new number-plate, have it photographed on your vehicle and then write to the central ticket office and the CPS enclosing a copy. Explain that you were not given an opportunity to cure the problem and that it has now been sorted.
Your case should be dropped before it reaches court.​

joost said:
What really naffs me off is all the polish plates I see - bet none of them gets stopped.

Completely different. These cars ARE Polish registered, not mimicking Polish registration.

No different to me driving in France with my UK-registered car, with UK-spec licence plates.

Siena said:
Completely different. These cars ARE Polish registered, not mimicking Polish registration.

No different to me driving in France with my UK-registered car, with UK-spec licence plates.

That need to be UK registered after 6 months of being brought over!

My gripe is that i was stopped for my plates that passed an MOT, not for speeding, driving whilst using my phone or drink driving...nothing else other than the plates!
Funny really, in my humble opinion (for what its worth) i hardly think the plates made my car dangerous.
Lucky they didn't check the contents of my boot or they would of found a chopped up body and 3kilos of crack coccaine in my boot.....but hey dodgy plates is bad enough i suppose!:no:

cal1470 said:
That need to be UK registered after 6 months of being brought over!

True. But, do you know how long these Polish cars have been in the UK? No.

Besides, they can remain in the UK for 5 months, go back to Poland for a few days, then return to the UK, and another 6 months is allowed.

You'll also find their status also has a lot to do with it too - if they're NOT registered in the UK, but mere guests, these rules don't apply.

But, I digress. The issue here is UK cars sporting licence plates that do NOT conform to UK-spec plates. The Polish / Euro debate is a different matter.

Each to there own i suppose, some like the look of euro/german plates....and some dont.

My point is they pass an MOT and DO NOT make the car unsafe in anyway shape or form......jeeezzz its not like i've got my front side windows tinted....now that would be worthy of a pull :no:

When they pulled me over for it they said if my car was ever stolen they wouldn't be able to read them on a cctv system. But he managed to spot that my numberplates had a small 'd' to one side and the font was different from 300 yards in front of me in the dark. Hmm.