hi im new to audi's

marky_g

marky_g
Reaction score
hi im new to the audi seen it looks pretty big and friendly..........looking to buy my first in the next few months

ive currently got 3 fords lol there al costing me a fortune to run and the a4 looks like a stylish and hopefuly echonimical car lol

gonna break myself in gently with about £1000's worth of a4 lol

is there anything thing i should be awar of?

what is high millage for a4 (b5) on a p/r reg

im after the face lift version with the nicer rear lights

any advice would be grate

need to know where to buy lowering springs and stuff too lol:rockwoot:

Hiya! Welcome to the site :beerchug:

I'm sure you'll find the folks on here a friendly and helpful bunch - I've been here for a while now and it's a great place for help, advice and a bit of banter too!

I guess the issues that you might want to look out for vary from model to model, so do you have a particular engine type in mind?

A common problem with the B5s are suspension bushes; they've got a multi-link suspension setup up front with eight arms, and the bushes tend to wear leading to allsorts of clunking and banging coming from the suspension. That's a common one but not the end of the world. There are other things to look out for too, but as I say some will only apply to certain models...

Mileage on P/R plate B5s can vary wildy, there are plenty about toward the 200,000 end of the spectrum; but on the other hand I picked up a late R-plate 1.9TDI last February to be my 'workhorse' with one owner, fAsh, and just 68,000 miles (I've put 60,000 on it since then though!). They're pretty resiliant motors and so long as they get a little bit of TLC as is required are good for serious mileage.

For springs and bits and bobs like that there are a load of places around - again it depends on the particular car, and more specifically the kind of kit you're after... Speaking to our very own DPM, Awesome GTI and some of the other sponsors (at the bottom of the forum index) is probably a good first start; one of the other B5 chaps - billybravo - also can supply stuff. Other than that I can recommend www.motorsportworld.co.uk - I've had a few bits off them and they've always given A1 service and are normally pretty competative on price. Then there's German Swedish & French and Eurocarparts etc. at the 'mass' end of the market...

Anyway, waffle over! Once again, welcome to the site, and good luck with the search!

Regards,

Rob.

Hello & :sign_welcome:.

Think Rob's justa bout covered every angle there! As regards mileage, make sure you get one with service history. Mine's just clicked past 142k and still going strong (for the time being at least...).

If you're looking for an A4 with plenty of modding potential, the 1.8T's your best bet.

Welcome to ASN and happy A4 hunting!

yer seen guite a few 1.8T's for about the 1k mark

its a diesel work horse im after tho rely for now

also i do like the face lifts but u can cahnge nearly everything from on a pre face lift cant you?

marky_g said:
also i do like the face lifts but u can cahnge nearly everything from on a pre face lift cant you?

You can fit facelift parts to a pre-facelift car, though depends on how far you wish to go.

1...Headlamps
2...Rear lamps
3...Hood
4...Trunklid
5...Front bumper
6...Rear bumper
7...Doors and handles
8...Front grille
9...Front wings / repeaters
10...Door mouldings
11...Door lower trims

That's even before you start on the inside. As I said, you can choose what you want to change, and how far you wish to go.

The front wings, you can just trim off the excess metal to get the later one-piece headlamps to fit, though you'll be left with the old-style side repeaters. Not just a case of drilling the hole larger, as it's recessed.

welcome & fyi - i bought my a4 b5 p reg with 90k on clock for £1,100.. & so far no problems at all.. (how to jinx myself).. apart from getting towed :mad: ..

if you dont want to mod get the 2.8 v6.. or a diesel - if you must :icon_thumright:

billybravo said:
i can get you anything you want for anything so come to me first for a great price

LOL, you sure about that Craig? You got cennections mate?? :eyebrows:

blimey lol anything lol

whats the fuel aconlmey like on 1.8t sports there are a few ive sceen they look nicer than the se's

and i think im gonna get an estate but bunno????

billybravo said:
ANYTHING!!!! lol

Hmm, what could I do with...

billybravo said:
Also Joost you coming to the rolling road day

Yes mate, had originally intended to go on the rollers myself but asked Aky to put me on the reserve list instead.

You gonna be doing 2 runs then?

PS Sorry for the thread hijack!!:slapped:

ok no 1.8t for me then lol

what about 1.8se's whats the fuel comsumption like?

parts i would like are

sports steering wheel
leather (think it was 2.8 interion i liked)

will saloon leather fit an estate????

seen a tdi with 240k on the clock i was gonna go see it untill i saw that millage

I guess there must be a point where the engine has to work its rocks off to shift the weight of the motor and maybe given the turbo it had more umph to move it without having to be worked so hard?

Just for the record, I get 48-50mpg average from a tank unless I'm driving it with a little more haste, and then it gets down to 44ish average on a tank.

But then I am in a turbo-diseasel ;)

It seems pretty reliable too *touch wood* - I've put over 60,000 miles on it in less than 12 months; and it's only had wear and tear items aside from one occassion where a wire for the N75 got toasted and I had to drive ~200 miles with no turbo...

Regards,

Rob.

i just need to get out and buy one lol i keep hanging out for a r reg one but there all 1.6's

what are the 1.6's like anyone know????? i'd rather not but if needs must

marky_g said:
i just need to get out and buy one lol i keep hanging out for a r reg one but there all 1.6's

The word DIRE springs to mind - mine's a non-turbo 1.8 and it's woefully underpowered. Hang on in there - one that fits the bill will pop up before long...

Cmon m8 just look for a 1.8T quattro nevermind the silly 1.8 Se or the boring 1.6.
Mines a 1.8T and its great mpg is about 24 for me less when I give it welly which is hard to resist lol. I only wish I had hunted a bit more for a quattro but I was getting sick of my previous A3 1.6 it was boring and full of annoying problems kept it for only 9 months.
If I were you I would keep my eye out for a quality motor with quattro.

They can be had quite cheaply.

I paid £500 for my '96 A4 2.6 Quattro Sport.

marky_g said:

Essentially in a 1.6 you have to make it work very hard just to keep up with the moving traffic. Performance may not be everyone's no1 criteria in a car but there'll be times where it's essential to accelerate and overtake traffic safely. The 1.6 lacks that potential.

What I like most about the 1.6 is excellent fuel economy - but then you also have a TDI and tune it.

Welcome to the forum.

Byzan A4 said:
Siena, there is a zero missing on yours he he he

LOL

i own a 1996 a4 1.8 turbo SPORT apart from ive had lots of bad luck including the above mentioned suspension arms bushs knackering spent £200.00 in amonth on them and ive still got a ****** thudding on car when turning corners.....aprt from that though tuning wise sooooooooooooooo much you can do to a 1.8turbo and mpg i get from £15.00 about 85-90 miles and that with abit of a heavy right foot. lcheck heavy worn disks and soggy suspension and any thudding or knocking under turning. also jsut trying to help here if get a early 1.8turbo see if camshaft tensioners and oil pick up bin replaced.... mine hasny go low oil pressure and one rattly engine £400.00+ to repair. hope that helps. other tahn taht MUCH better class style etc than ford(yes ive had 2 fords before me audi never go back)

its looking pretty certin i'll be buying a 1.8t lol i have seen a few, 120k'ers fo under a grand......all n reg's tho but i guess an a4's an a4 lol

with the 1.8t's whats the difference in a non sport and sport modles???

it all makes senece actually i think the only reason i was avoiding the 1.8t was becuaes i was weary of problems, but i drive a 1.8t in a b6 today felt pretty nippy no lag or nothing like that and it looks like u get more nicere seats and stuff

a diesal would be ideal but there hard to find in my budet lol

whats the difference between the 1.8t and the 1.8t sport?

im so sonfused as to what i want now lol i dont rely need a car i can tune i just need something to get from a 2 b i think ts more important to get something mehanicaly sound but the allur if 1.8t's it strong but i dont want a n reg car lol

I personally would get something above 97 as the ecu and a few bits changed and the later one can be chipped etc. And the 96's are difficult to tune etc.
They do age well do not get me wrong, but i recon you could get a '98 for around 1500 ish

billybravo said:
if i was going to buy again i would get one after 97 onwards just because you cab play with more **** on the ecu

That's the only reason I'd buy a later model too.

macattax said:
Cmon m8 just look for a 1.8T quattro nevermind the silly 1.8 Se or the boring 1.6.

I wouldnt go for anything other than the 1.8T or the 142kw / 193bhp 2.8.. but as you want diesel etc. the 1.8T should be the 1 for you.. depends if you want tuning or not. if u want to tune - its the 1.8T, if you want a solid workhorse I'd do the 2.8.. the 1.6 or 1.8 MUST be underpowered tbh

it does NOT have to be the quattro though. The quattro will improve the saftey of your cars cornering / handling, but makes it slower on acceleration as its SO heavy, will increase your fuel comsumption & increase your tyre wear - also has more expensive parts to go wrong..

so a Q is not essential for your needs (or anyones imo)

you can get 1996 remapped they just replace the chip it costs the same and same power out put??? just courios how come a later 1.8 turbo looks same as mine engine wise but gives 180 bhp as standard?? what can i do to get my starting figure like that??

The ECU is quite different in the 96 over the later ones and therefore less available etc etc. Madkebab had lots of problems getting a good tune on his 96 1.8t

yer its a p/r reg im after, i dont think i want a tunable car rely or at leat for now
just something good a fule, diesels are out of my budget by the looks of things,
looks like im just gonna have to be cheeky and go look at a 1200/1400 car and just slap £1000 cash im front of them and be like DO U WANT IT? DO U?
lol cant aregue with the power of cash
what are the v6 modles like on petrol? i have abit of a heavy foot at times lol

was only thinking of a 1.8 as i want the looks mainly and though they would be reasonable on fuel

marky_g said:
yer its a p/r reg im after, looks like im just gonna have to be cheeky and go look at a 1200/1400 car and just slap £1000 cash im front of them and be like DO U WANT IT? DO U?

what are the v6 modles like on petrol? i have abit of a heavy foot at times lol

putting 1k in front of someone should work if they want to sell it - it did for mine

as for v6 - mine costs 20p per mile for mixed runs of in town, 90 on motorway & country roads. £60 gets about 320 miles without being too careful..

my 1.8T returns 30mpg average on the daily commute, it was doing 24 when i baught it but after replacing the thermostat so it actually warmed up that fixed that issue.

The sport really is a different car to drive, the steering rack has less turns lock to lock, much better suspension as standard, its lower, has nicer wheels, nicer interior (bucketed seats and sport steering wheel).

Having driven a 1.9TDI SE and my 1.8TS the 1.8TS really is the better all round drive

I baught mine for £1200 from ebay. Required a service and thermostat, and recently the alternator belt and tensioner but seems pretty good otherwise. It will need the brakes done soon, but im looking at fitting A6 disks and TT carriers while i'm there just to improve things. (not that the standard brakes are lacking but seen as the bigger ones cost the same i may as well change the carriers)