Badger5Monster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Help- A4 remote control unit replacement!

Long story but shineydave ( forum member, nice man and also he is a neighbour!) has helped me with what I thought last week was just the replacement of a keyfob battery!
    After going to Audi and told that the VAG COM said remote control problems...list of about 8 faults....Dave took the unit out and car full of water in the boot, hence that was why the unit would not work.
    Since then, the unit has been dried out and cleaned up and temporarily works then doesn't...no interior lights, no central locking or electric windows, alarm going off constantly. When Dave VAG COM it yesterday, it had various other problems relating to c/locking system errors. They would not clear either even on VAG COM.
    So its booked into Audi again tommorow for confirmation that it is definately the unit. I then need to find out where the leak is coming from that caused all of these problems in the first place but Audi not charging me 70 an hr to do that one!
    Does anyone know if the whole unit will have to be replaced even though the motor appears to be fully functional? If so, how much?
    Thanks in advance!
    Tonya
    Tonya

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...t=34181&page=4 ( pix of moi, half way down page)

A4 1.9TDi. V reg.
    Sat Nav
    Powerbox PSI
    17" RS4 Replica's
    Bug eye lights
    Rear spoiler

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    almost certainly the unit as mine was getting damp and had same problems then just as quick as it came, it went.

i'll dig out links concerning replacement, one thing is your key fobs will all need resynced to the new unit. this can be done with vagcom i think. also make sure you have the same part numbered replacement as i think there are various different ones.
    1998 A4 1.8T Sport - For Saturdays
    2003 VW Golf MKIV R32 - For Sundays
    2000 Peugeot 406 HDi - For when it's raining
    1996 Kawasaki ZX7R - For when I'm late for work!

Mods- Forge Dump Valve, The Engine Shop Power Plus based Engine (Low Comp. Forged pistons, Arrow H-Section Rods, Newman fast road cams, polished & ported head), 19" wheels, B&M Short Shifter, Greddy Turbo Timer, RS4 Grill, Weitec GTN coilovers, HKS modified air filter, Autobahn88 FMIC, ChippedUK custom map. Some Turbo mods ongoing.

1st Gear

Status
    Tonya,

The same thing happened to mine a few years ago.

Got a replacement from the following contact (2nd hand), they posted it to me!

Give them a try as they usually have a few A4's to strip down. Don't forget to give them the part number + car datails etc.....

Forget drying out the unit, I tried this and it also did not work well after.

Overton Dismantlers
    Overton Garage Ltd
    off Dyce Drive
    Aberdeen
    Scotland AB21 0EQ
    Tel: 00.44.1224.722354
    Parts Fax: 00.44.1224.775451
    General Fax:00.44.1224.722457
    Email : sales@overtongarage.co.uk

Kind regards,

Jim.

Neutral

Status
    thanks for your replies. I have bought a new one from Ebay for £185. Cheaper than Audi. Will defo need VAG COM to resync the keys etc.
    Will fasten the unit myself and go to Audi in Bradford ( Hudds branch tried to patronise me and make me feel like thick woman!....did not work!!)
    Tonya

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...t=34181&page=4 ( pix of moi, half way down page)

A4 1.9TDi. V reg.
    Sat Nav
    Powerbox PSI
    17" RS4 Replica's
    Bug eye lights
    Rear spoiler

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi Tonya.
    What A4 do you have B5 or B6?
    Shame about what happened hope it wont break the bank too much.
    The water leak could be the very common battery compartment water drains getting blocked.
    Good luck with the fitting and fair play to you for holding your ground at the stealers. They usually try to patronise you wheter your male or female as all they are intrested in is selling new Audis and seem to dislike it when you come to their showrooms to book your not so new car in for work. Or maybe they only act like that at my local stealers. Id much prefer to talk to a mechanic than some dumb blonde secretary who hasnt a clue and needs to make phonecalls for even the simplest of questions about the car pffft.

Sorry for the rant lol Good luck again!

FACELIFT 99.5

Current Mods: RNS-E MMI Conversion,Carbonio CAI,
    Baileys DV30 valve, Tinted windows, Xenon H.I.Ds, Bosch Aerotwins.

Planned mods: Rieger Kit,Engine Tuning, Leather sports seats.
    Accomodation when the missus kicks me out for wasting money on a car.