Help- A4 remote control unit replacement!

Tonya Rosey

Reaction score
Long story but shineydave ( forum member, nice man and also he is a neighbour!) has helped me with what I thought last week was just the replacement of a keyfob battery!
After going to Audi and told that the VAG COM said remote control problems...list of about 8 faults....Dave took the unit out and car full of water in the boot, hence that was why the unit would not work.
Since then, the unit has been dried out and cleaned up and temporarily works then doesn't...no interior lights, no central locking or electric windows, alarm going off constantly. When Dave VAG COM it yesterday, it had various other problems relating to c/locking system errors. They would not clear either even on VAG COM.
So its booked into Audi again tommorow for confirmation that it is definately the unit. I then need to find out where the leak is coming from that caused all of these problems in the first place but Audi not charging me £70 an hr to do that one!
Does anyone know if the whole unit will have to be replaced even though the motor appears to be fully functional? If so, how much?
Thanks in advance!
Tonya

almost certainly the unit as mine was getting damp and had same problems then just as quick as it came, it went.

i'll dig out links concerning replacement, one thing is your key fobs will all need resynced to the new unit. this can be done with vagcom i think. also make sure you have the same part numbered replacement as i think there are various different ones.

Tonya,

The same thing happened to mine a few years ago.

Got a replacement from the following contact (2nd hand), they posted it to me!

Give them a try as they usually have a few A4's to strip down. Don't forget to give them the part number + car datails etc.....

Forget drying out the unit, I tried this and it also did not work well after.

Overton Dismantlers
Overton Garage Ltd
off Dyce Drive
Aberdeen
Scotland AB21 0EQ
Tel: 00.44.1224.722354
Parts Fax: 00.44.1224.775451
General Fax:00.44.1224.722457
Email : sales@overtongarage.co.uk

Kind regards,

Jim.

thanks for your replies. I have bought a new one from Ebay for £185. Cheaper than Audi. Will defo need VAG COM to resync the keys etc.
Will fasten the unit myself and go to Audi in Bradford ( Hudds branch tried to patronise me and make me feel like thick woman!....did not work!!)

Hi Tonya.
What A4 do you have B5 or B6?
Shame about what happened hope it wont break the bank too much.
The water leak could be the very common battery compartment water drains getting blocked.
Good luck with the fitting and fair play to you for holding your ground at the stealers. They usually try to patronise you wheter your male or female as all they are intrested in is selling new Audis and seem to dislike it when you come to their showrooms to book your not so new car in for work. Or maybe they only act like that at my local stealers. Id much prefer to talk to a mechanic than some dumb blonde secretary who hasnt a clue and needs to make phonecalls for even the simplest of questions about the car pffft.

Sorry for the rant lol Good luck again!