Climate control help

Bong Water

In two minds
Reaction score
Hey guys

I didnt get a book with my car so hope you can clarify a few things

I have only had my car during winter months so never used the air con, I am going to assume that "Econ" is the air con. The car is an A4 on a 2000

On my mates Leon (which is a slightly different system) when he presses auto the air con light comes on and the compressor runs so basically the auto button runs the air con too.

On mine when I press the auto button the Econ light does not come on, but you can turn it on whilst it is in auto.

I have started to think that my MPG is a little high and I have simply been leaving the climate control set to auto all the time, if this is running the air con then it would explain why, however when I swith to manual there does not seem to be any difference in the sound of the car, only the when I switch the thing of totally does it seem to 'cut out' in the engine bay

Could someone confirm whats going on here!?

Thanks

Auto is on, and econ is compressor off. Sit at tick over and try auto to econ, and vice versa, you should hear a detectable dip in revs, also you should hear the faint click of the realy in the kick panel.

When I switch econ on, auto stays on. Its really confusing! All I want to do is make sure the air con is not running but there seems to be a noise coming from under the bonnet no matter what setting its on unless you switch the whole thing off and then whatever is happening under the bonnet dissapears.

I basically run it on auto all the time but my mate said not to as it uses loads of fuel, but on his, auto also activates econ, where as on mine, they seem seperate

It will still run in auto with the compessor off (in Economy mode) It just lights up so you know its off thats all

The difference is a few MPG so i tend to leave mine on all year round as it demists the car quicker when its on, and also it stops the seals drying out etc etc

Sorry I might be being really thick here but this thing is confusing!

I just went out in my car, when Econ light is on, the engine makes less noise as if its off, and when the light is off, its making more noise as if its on! Is that normal!!

Auto is even more confusing, I dont know if its just normal fans, air con or what!? Sorry I know you are trying to help but I am just even more confused now!

'Auto' simply means it automatically controls the cabin temparature. It will only turn the aircon on if you select a temperature on the climate control that it wouldn't be able to achieve without it.

If you see 'Econ', the aircon compressor can not go on. If you don't see 'Econ', your aircon compressor will only go on when it needs to, ie: you've set a low cabin temperature.

I think we all have different systems here as this makes no sense. My Econ is a button with a light to say if its on or off.
I am assuming Econ means air con, I dont have a manual and this is my first time with climate control so I am flying blind.
I am sure its just me not knowing how to use it but when the econ light is on the car makes less noise, when the econ light is off the car makes more noise. Does this mean its faulty? My compressor seems to run all the time in auto, or it sounds like it anyway
I usually have the light off and auto on and my petrol consumption seems high

If someone could just let me know if the compressor is supposed to constantly run when in auto with no econ?

Basically when I run mine in auto there is always a noise from under the bonnet, the only time the noise goes away is if I select Econ or if I turn the whole thing off. This is making me think I have a faulty compressor that is always on when it should only be on if its cooling the car in auto

We have tried to tell you Econ is economy mode, ie compressor off. So when the light is "on" econ is active, ie no compressor. You will still get the fans inside and the flaps operating, but the aircon istself will be off

Yeah I get that now, what I dont understand is why its designed like that, makes no sense to me and is the reason I found it confusing, that plus I am really not with it today as you can see.

Thanks for the help.

Audi & Merc use the same system.
As you switch the ignition On, the Air-con is automatically turned On.
By pressing the Econ button, you simply turn the Air-con Off.
As simple as that.
The reason it works that way is that most people leave the air-con On all the time.
The difference in fuel consumption is minimal and the replacment of the air-con seals and re-gassing the system (if left unused for long periods of time) is far greater in costs than the extra fuel used.

I know it seems so simple now :(

I just drove home from work with the Econ on and although the car felt smoother and more responsive the windows steamed up to the point where it was very annoying!

Econ = Economy mode

With econ on your air compressor is switched off so you will have better fuel economy, and the the climate control trys its best to give you the desired temp setting without air con.

Running it in ECON mode to save fuel is a total false economy. If you do it enough then your climate control system is likely to develop leaks where the system dries out too much and can crack some of the seals. At roughly £450 to fix it's a whole lot cheaper to leave it on all the time as it was designed to be used, even in the winter.

Hi
So surely if the aircon is set to Auto and ,say, a cabin temp. of 20 deg. on the climate control, then aircon will only come on if the inside temperature is greater than the outside temperature? Initially,eg in summer, the fans will be on full blast then gradually it will settle down. Does on mine anyway. I too run it with Auto on all the time.
JohnyT