Fuel Gauge Problem

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
Hey Guys

My car (99.5 1.8T Sport) fuel gauge seems to be acting strangely recently, when i fill up it takes ages to register, and then sometimes when i am driving and i know there is fuel in there, it drops and shows nowhere near how much there is, and at the moment it is showing as being empty when I know there is at least 100 miles left!!

Any ideas of what it could be please???

Thanks
Nilz

Anyone please....I want to see if I can get this sorted over the next couple of days....

Thanks

Thanks.....

I have been told that it may be this, any tips on how to get to it and what is involved to get to it, also is the pump in the boot or under the back seat, if so, how easy is it to get to??

Never done the job, but I've seen the results of some. IIRC access is from under the back seats. The unit it's self is supposed to need a special tool to get out. If your too ham fisted you can end up pulling the pump/sender apart and leaving half of it in the tank.

OK so would need a professional to do the job then, thats not good, that means more money!!!

Is the sender just a little swich type thing??

I had the same problem with my fuel sender unit, guage reading empty when it was half full, on the sender unit there is a small link wire to the float arm, this is soldered on and with the arm moving so much it breaks the wire, i put a new one in but could have easily repaired it.

Once you have removed the cover on the top of the tank you will have to disconect the plug connector that goes to the sender, then put your hand into the tank and run your finger down the side of the sender and you will feel spring loaded plastic lug that you will have to press in then the sender will slide up off the plastic fuel pump housing, re-fit in reverse, it is alot easier if you have a torch so you can see inside the tank.

Spot on jimbo, couldn't rememeber the exact details. Often people don't know about the plastic lug, so they pull the unit apart.

Jimbo, thanks for that reply, looks helpful, i dont suppose you know anywhere with diagrams, as im just scared i'll end up breaking something, and is this a diy jobbie that i could do at home, btw im not super technical when it comes to mechanicals on cars??

Guys,

Thanks for the responses, the pics just make it look even more technical...AAARRRGGHH!!!!

Not to worry, Jimbo, I am in Brum, but will be in Gomersal over the weekend, if thats near you, do you know how long it will take to do the job, if you did do it, also would i need to get a new sender unit???

Thanks

If its Gomersal near morley / Dewsbury im 30mins away, the job would take 30mins to a hour max, you would have to get the fuel sender unit from audi, mine was £40 and had to be ordered (overnight delivery).

Jimbo thanks for the offer mate, but something has come up in the family, so not going to be coming now, if i can get it done down here I will do, otherwise if im up there soon, ill give you a shout if thats ok??

Once again, thanks for all your help already....

Guys, thanks for all your help, I fitted the sender today, was pretty straightforward and the link was spot on....All working ok now so happy days....

Thanks again

OK OK, so the saga continues!!!

I filled up today £50 and it still wasnt full....and there was about a fiver worths in there already!!!

So anyway, I got into the car and started it up, it only showed a half tank, but eventually after 5 to 10 minutes the needle creeped up to show just under full tank....

Now I have changed the fuel sender gauge and it started working instantly, but can someone explain, why its taking so long to register the fuel??

Thanks
Nilz

Could be a faulty fuel guage, i know the A3 dash suffered from faulty fuel and temp guages, fill the car up and watch the fuel guage, if it takes a while to go to full you could try tapping the top of the dash to see if it goes up any faster, if so it could be a faulty guage.

i had the car on a computer and it said no errors on the dash but i'll keep an eye on it

my car jsut developed this fault but £10 in last night now showing got 5 miles left I DONT THINK SO. fuel sender here we come £££££££££££££sssssssss

The sender is available from Euros at £45, however i have fitted mine and filled up since, it shows on the gauge now, but im sure the needle is stuck now, as I have done 200 miles and it still shows as being 3/4 of a tank full, whereas normally I would probably be on the 1/4 tank line by now, it even shows as having 300 miles left on the range, which is defo wrong.....so not sure what it could be now!!!

Any ideas please????

Does anyone know how to reset the fuel gauge, as it does look like its stuck on the 3/4 mark...and thats no good especially as i do motorway driving everyday....i need to know how much petrol i got...lol....thanks

bump...sorry for bumping so soon, but i need to sort this asap.....am booked into the garage tomorrow, but would like to go in knowing what the issue is, rather than getting shafted for something its not if you know what i mean...

On the old audi 80's there was a chip that went on the rear of the dash causing all sorts of irregular readings, do not know if its true of the A4, i do know that you can get the dash repaiared to fix the faulty guage problem , well according to BBA/BMA (??) remanufacturers

OK i took it back and disconnected and reconnected it and it showed up with the real amount, i filled up with some petrol and it showed this, but i dont know how accurate it is, as i did about 50 miles today and it didnt really seem to move again....so frustrating!!!!!

I've been putting up with the same problem for over a year now lol

Fine when the tank is half full or more, but with smaller amounts, the gauge falls to zero and beeps at me every few minutes lol!!!!

The car is at the garage as I type this, and it's on the chap's 'job list' to fix.

OK next update, ive filled up again and once again it has got stuck at the 3/4 mark!!!

This is a brand new sender unit, so why is this happening, could it be that its a faulty sender unit??