Low Mileage <2000 plate or High Mileage >2000 plate...

Mr OCD

Obsessive Car Detailer
Reaction score
Website
www.obsessivecardetailing.co.uk
Bit of a delimma here... my budget is £4500 and I want an Audi 1.8T Sport (Quattro or 2wd - not fussed which) but do I go for a low miler older car or a high miler newer car?

I REALLY want leather trim and this is a problem for my budget :sly:

I'd always favour the newer car with high mileage. Low mileage cars have usually had a hard life. Short school runs & shopping are really hard on the mechanicals whereas a newer motorway cruiser is a much better bet.
Never understood the obsession with suspiciously low mileage older vehicles. Yes back in the 70's mileage was an issue but not these days. Both our Audi's have done over 170k miles.
I wouldn't worry too much about leather either as you can pick up a full leather interior on ebay for around &#163;400, and sell the stock interior for &#163;100, so for &#163;300 it's better to get a good example than be limited to the few with leather.

I agree with Andymac. Age, service history and overall condition all matter far more than mileage.

A very wise man once told me that modern cars should always be judged on their condition and recent history. Rarely is the mileage a factor.

As for the interior, it's an absolute doddle to swap over and the leather is much harder wearing.

Tell me where you can find a leather interior for &#163;400 and I'll snap their hands off to buy it. Best I've found is &#163;600 +vat

I bought a mint condition black leather interior off eBay for under &#163;300 about a year ago. Sold it on for the same price as well because I found some lovely recaros.

There are always breakers yards selling them on eBay, take a look.

Blue_Thunder said:
I bought a mint condition black leather interior off eBay for under £300 about a year ago. Sold it on for the same price as well because I found some lovely recaros.

There are always breakers yards selling them on eBay, take a look.

LOL, I have been and the best I've seen for the last 4 months is £600

You just have to be patient, I got my black/grey half leather/alcantara for our B6 A4 Avant for £400 about a year ago.

I've got an RS4(avant) interior in my saloon. It's easy to change between saloon and avant interiors. You just need a bracket fabricated which will set you back pocket change from a local engineering/metalwork firm.

I've got a spare couple of saloon latches if anyone wants to fit a saloon interior into an avant.