'oil' flashes on start up

a4cam

Reaction score
OK , I have a 1.8se avant and 'oil' flashes on the trip meter on start up . It has a full sump of oil , so it being low is not the reason . I have had it up on the hoist and had a look around for an oil level sensor and couldn't find one on the sump . So , is it a service light ? Any help is appreciated

Yep; if it's flashing "OIL" briefly in the trip counter display below the odometer reading for a little while on each start-up before reverting to showing the trip mileage in that spot it's a service reminder.

It can be cleared by VAG-COM or 'manually' by the following procedure:

Start with ignition off. Press and hold the trip reset pin in the dash and then turn the ignition on. OIL will be shown continuously (as opposed to flashing). Release and then press the trip reset pin again. It should now show INSP. Next pull the clock-set pin outwards briefly. The trip display should now show -----. Pull the clock-set pin outwards briefly again and the process should be complete. Switch off the ignition and on again to check.

Regards,

Rob.

Nice 1 , thats sounds like a likely explanation to me . Tried the technique , but could not get to the continuous 'oil' to come up . Held the trip reset then turned the ign sw from off through acc to on , oil flashed so i kept holding for at least 2 mins , when that failed I tried a few different time lenghts but to no avail ! Its a 1996 1.8 A4 avant , whether that makes any difference .

Hi,

Below is copy of the instructions on how to reset the inspection service light from a post in the Diesel section. It might be worth a try!

Press and hold the right button. (odometer reset)

now switch on the ignition
(oil lamp will not flash, but on at all times)

press the right button again
(insp is now displayed)

pull left button. (clock set)
(------ are now displayed)

Pull left button again

You might have to try this a few times to reset everything (oil & in1).

I did read somewhere that pre 1998 cars do not allow you to reset the oil and in1 inspection lights? I cannot confirm that this is true.

Jim.

moschino - just as I thought... Interesting to read that it perhaps doesn't work on pre-98 though...

a4cam - sorry it didn't work for you mate! It worked on mine but then mine was built late 98. It might be worth a look if there's any advice in the handbook (but I wouldn't hold your breath). Other than that I guess it falls to VAG-COM? Where are you located? Perhaps there's a member nearby who can help (although given it's a 1996 model I guess it might need a 2x2 port adapter for diagnostics (not certain though))... If you're anywhere around my travels I'd be happy to plug my laptop in...

Anyway, at least it's nothing to worry about (so long as you keep on top of changing the oil etc.) - but I know it's annoying!

Regards,

Rob.

I've tried that procedure on my 97 A4 and it doesn't work, think it has to be mid-late 98 on

Thanks everybody for your help , am located in Milton Keynes , Bought the car abit over a month ago , got it cheap with a few issues and slowly have been working through each problem , this is one of the last ones . Do you have to use the VAG COM to reset it or will any diagnostics tool work ?

a4cam,
I also live in Milton Keynes and have VAG-COM
The only problem is that the version I have 311.2 somehow has become un-registered, it worked fine for years....... shame!
If someone can confirm that I can reset using the shareware version 311.2 or shareware version 409 then I will be happy to give it a go.

Jim.

i dnt know if this same problem but....... normally this happens jsut after satrt up and when car bin sat over night etc but a soon as a set off low oil waring bleepes and flashes at me doe this a couple of times then that it it doesnt return untill it decides to!! mines a 1996 a4 turbo ive heard that these early models were prone for the oil sump feed blocking up???