AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits

Thread: 120k miles?

Neutral

Status

120k miles?

Hello folks,

just had a look at a 1.8t quattro sport. drives well, got a good history, body work needs a bit of work. Has 120k on the clock and this is something i am a little not sure about as it is high mileage.

It has had new belts and a host of other stuff at a cost of 1500 6 months ago and has just had a service 6 weeks ago inc new breaks/discs/tyres etc.

Just looking for any experience with motors that are above the 120k mark. what could go wrong or anything to think about for the near future dollars wise.

cheers in advance.

slax.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Will design for mods

Status
    Mine's done 122k no problems as yet. These things are tanks, they'll go forever.

FOR SALE: Eibach Sportline Springs from B5 A4. £50 - PM for details.

5th Gear

Status
    Depends on what price you are looking to pay. Like smoothassault says, they are built like tanks and as long as the service history is good and oil changes are carried out it will last longer than you want to keep it.
    Facelift S3, Sprint Blue, Bucket seats, Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bose, Elect Mirrors, Light and Rain, Interior Light pack, Flat Tyre Warning, GSM Phone Prep, Led upgrade, Illuminated speaker grills.

6th Gear

Status
    Not sure how the 1.8T's cope with the 'Longlife' servicing, but on S4's and RS4's, it's something to be wary of due to excessive cam wear.
    Mo power, mo problems

Neutral

Status
    cheers for the replies..

the guy is looking for 3400 ono...

here is the link - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/324940.htm

what do you folks reckon?

slax

Will design for mods

Status
    Looks like a good example. I only paid £2600 for mine, but it's not the quattro nor is it a turbo, and that one looks to be in slightly better condition too. If the recent work is legit (ask for some proof) then it seems to be a pretty fair price.

FOR SALE: Eibach Sportline Springs from B5 A4. £50 - PM for details.

Status
    High mileage cars are usually a better bet than susiciously low mileage school run vehicles as long as they've been regularly serviced. Motorway miles are a lot kinder on the mechanicals than lots of short journeys.
    We run two A4's (a 2.8Q and a 1.9TDi) both over 160k miles.
    The quattro has needed a new gearbox, and the TDi needed a new turbo at 170k, but apart from normal maintenance that's all.

5th Gear

Status
    I would ask him if it has had any damage to the rear at some point though. Just me being over cautious, but the rear badges are in the wrong place ( a common mistake with body shops). The quattro badge is supposed to be under the 1.8T and the red line is supposed to be under the A4.

Here is a pic of them in the right place.

Facelift S3, Sprint Blue, Bucket seats, Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bose, Elect Mirrors, Light and Rain, Interior Light pack, Flat Tyre Warning, GSM Phone Prep, Led upgrade, Illuminated speaker grills.

Neutral

Status
    well spotted....

i have no idea about checking that...

the bumber is not actually sitting correcty. there is a gap big enough for my index finger to fit in at the passenger rear corner which i had pointed out to the seller which i would have put down to car park shunt. the fact that cosmetic bits are in the wrong places worries me though.

cheers for the replies.

5th Gear

Status
    bear in mind that as stated the badges are in the wrong place/order but doesnt mean that its has been damaged for definate

my rear badges have been on and off the car more times than i care to remember, first i debadged it, then changed style of badges, then someone tried to nick them so removed them again, and now have put some back on again but mine arent quite as standard if you see the back in one of my other posts

but if the bumper if not sat right does point to some possible damage, but could be something a simple as reversing into a post etc, so body damage would be more cosmetic than structual

5th Gear

Status
    I also agree with 205man. It might just have been a respray cause of stoen chips, scratch or anything minor like that. The boot of mine was resprayed when i decided to remove the rear spoiler and the body shop who sprayed it (had the contract with the local audi dealership for bodywork) so i thought they would get everything perfect actually fecked up the badges totally. I had nothing under the A4, but the red line and quattro badge were both under the 1.8T. It looked so stupid I debadged the back end totally!!

6th Gear

Status
    There is no quattro badge on the front grill or rear boot, check that it has just it actually is a quattro.
    Millage wise the 1.8ts will do 200+k if looked after correctly.
    A4 Avant project now started ! see this thread ! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/43296-bit-project-going.html
    If you think my post had a usefull purpose please say thanks

5th Gear

Status
    I don't think there is a problem with it not being a Quattro. The inside has all the right bits and the quattro badge on the brushed aluminium inlay. If I were going to fake a quattro I would go for sticking a couple of badges on the outside and not attempT the ass of a job it is to remove the inlays.
    I also just notice there is a piece missing out of the rear valance. Whats happened there? or was there a tow bar fitted at some point. If there was I would be a bit concerned at what had been towed around for all these years.