Painting Calipers

SmoothAssault

Will design for mods
Reaction score
Website
www.matteasom.com
I should be getting new discs and pads all 'round some time in the next few weeks, while I've got everything in pieces I was thinking about painting the callipers.

I'd ideally want them in black with smooth high-gloss finish, and I was wondering how easy it would be to achieve this with the regular calliper paint kits I've seen floating around. Most good kits seem to include a cleaning fluid, brush and then obviously the paint; applied with a brush. But I doubt this would provide me with the smooth finish I want; brushes rarely do.

I've also been wondering if it's even worth getting a calliper paint kit when all I want is black? Surely something like good old hammerite would do the job? I'm thinking I'd be able to sand the hammerite surface before applying some spray paint enabling me to achieve a really super high gloss finish. Does anyone know if this would cause any problems?

As far is I'm aware hammerite can withstand some pretty hefty temperatures, is this all that needs to be considered when choosing the paint?

Thanks guys. :icon_thumright:

SmoothAssault said:
I should be getting new discs and pads all 'round some time in the next few weeks, while I've got everything in pieces I was thinking about painting the callipers.

I'd ideally want them in black with smooth high-gloss finish, and I was wondering how easy it would be to achieve this with the regular calliper paint kits I've seen floating around. Most good kits seem to include a cleaning fluid, brush and then obviously the paint; applied with a brush. But I doubt this would provide me with the smooth finish I want; brushes rarely do.

I've also been wondering if it's even worth getting a calliper paint kit when all I want is black? Surely something like good old hammerite would do the job? I'm thinking I'd be able to sand the hammerite surface before applying some spray paint enabling me to achieve a really super high gloss finish. Does anyone know if this would cause any problems?

As far is I'm aware hammerite can withstand some pretty hefty temperatures, is this all that needs to be considered when choosing the paint?

Thanks guys. :icon_thumright:

Why on earth would you want to do that? A genuine question!:icon_thumright:

hammerited mine,

oooo001zine.jpg

zine.jpg

Thanks for the pics guys. I guess I will just go for hammerite then. I want them nice and smooth so I can get a nice surface for a stencil. I'm into graffiti and I though the callipers would be a great place for some stealthy tags.

I'll give them a couple of generous coats of hammerite before getting some wet/dry paper on them to remove as many imperfections as possible. I'll give everything a good clean then go for a couple of coats of gloss black spray paint before applying the stencils.

:)

SmoothAssault said:
You don't think shiny black callipers would look good? I think they look great!

I suppose they look better than rusty old dogs.. but I do like my Audi's nice and original!! However old!!

TT:hi:

mine are done in black smootherite (smooth version of hammerite) and they are fine , and they been given some abuse

i painted the calipers on my 205 mi16 track day car in hammerite and never managed to get the paint to burn or bubble etc.

so painting your road car will be fine

just spray them with some brake cleaner, wire brush any loose off after (just becareful of the rubber covers around the piston, spray again with brake cleaner to remove remaining dust then paint.

you can get away with one coat, but i think i did 2

just make sure you give it time to cure, overnight, but a whole day is better, then take it gentle to allow heat to cure it finally