X-1 carbon intake kit fitted

stapo69

All hail the mighty quattro!
Reaction score
Finally got my X-1 intake kit from the states. After searching the internet I thought I'd give it a go. Bit pricey, cost £300 in total with delivery, duty and VAT, but is the best you can get for the S4, even MRC recommended it. Can buy them from here, decent guys there, communication was great from them, real helpful.

http://sdr-research.com/x1/intake.htm

Fitting took a little while as it's a bit of a squeeze, when it was all in the filter was a little squashed, but works just fine. On that subject the filter is an AEM dryflow filter so contains no oils so doesn't ****** up the sensitive MAF. As for the carbon box it's a work of art, really well built and as you can see it uses the stock air feed from behind the grill so gets great airflow to the filter, and come santa pod time out will come the headlight for even more air directly onto the cone! SDR claim the X-1 measured half the pressure drop of the RS4 airbox. Also comes with a machined aluminium plate and self tappers to relocate the ignition heatsinks from the top of the original airbox to the suspension turret or bulkhead.

Well anyway here's a few pics of the parts going in and the finished product fitted.

The airbox fitted. Gorgeous!

Seals perfectly against the bonnet to keep any hot air out.

With cone fitted.

Can just about see here the use of the standard air feed, can make out the filter through it.

Looks very nice... but £300!!!

Have done any before and after logs on Vagcom, ie: MAF readings, IAT's, etc?

That looks superb, I likey a lot. Think we need some sound clips though.

Very nice looks like some decent thought went into designing that kit.

look what else they make CARBON RS4 WINGS :D got to get myself some of these

both-clear.jpg

I've not really driven the car much since it was fitted but once i get back to work next week and back into the same old routin I'll check the fuel consumption and see what difference I get.

As for the sounds, to be honest, not a huge difference, bit lower/deeper induction noise, louder turbos, did make the exhaust note a little deeper/louder too I think, turbos back off nicely through the filter too, nice refined subtle changes, no boy racer ****!

I've not heard the car from the outside myself yet, so not sure what she sounds like bein driven. I'll try get some vid up soon, just not had chance yet, if i can I'll get some before MIJ do their thing very soon.

And yeah, £300 is a bit steep I know, but with the interest rates the way they are I only paid £240 delivered for a kit that sells there for $475, just the ******* government ripping us off in this country with VAt and duty tax! But only the best for my baby!

billybravo said:
look what else they make CARBON RS4 WINGS :D got to get myself some of these

both-clear.jpg

Those are cool. Doubt the front arches on an RS4 weigh that much though but I suppose every little helps. Plus they are working on the rest of the bits for the RS4 kit.

If you llok at the thread about the Sweet RS4 bumper that guy does the RS4 stuff and he does carbon and Kevlar for less than the US price I think.