Boot Opening on Start-Up

Longman

vassdignostics.co.uk
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was asked to have a look at an A3 1.8T Sport 8L on 51 plate this weekend.

The problem was that whenever the car had been locked and the owner went to start it, the boot would pop open.

This has got progressively worse and now happens every time.

There are no codes showing up on the Engine or Central Locking controllers using VAG-COM and I did ask whether he was pressing the boot button on start up but this is not the case.

Any ideas?

pull off the boot panel and have a look inside.

it maybe a simple case of the washer hose coming off and soaking the connectors.

Otherwise, what can happen is that the soft release switches can break or let in water too.

Best bet in either case is to unplug and unbolt the boot lock assembly and clean up all the connectors, and maybe replace the soft release switches.

let us know how it goes!

I know this sounds stupid, but my dad had the same problem.... solution was for him to hold the key in the ignition differently as he kept pressing the boot release switch.

Thanks MADVW, sounds like a job for the weekend then.

Auroan, I did ask him if he was doing that and he said no but it does seem the most obvious!!!

typical, again after posting on a topic the same thing happens to my car.... except mine does it completely randomly, even when the car is started - that rules out the keyfob, as that only works when the car isn't started.

I've had a look on mine, and there is a watermark around the hole where the soft release button connector passes through. After eventually pulling out the connector, I found it was soaked, covered in rust and other crap.

Problem appears to be that water is getting past a gasket somewhere, and INTO the switch. The connector is also as good as destroyed too.

I have been able to order 2 new soft release switches, 2 new number plate lights and all the gaskets and seals used in the area. The problem is that the part number on the connector isn't on ETKA or the factory stock list... great!

Just been out and taken the inner boot cover off. Everything is still really dry and the rear window washer works and doesn't leak. Connections are all dry and nicely greased.

We cleaned and WD40'd the connectors to the soft release switches as these were a little corroded and so far, it hasn't popped open.

However, there was a lot of dirt and water around the soft switches on the outside and one of them doesn't work, so think it points to that switch perhaps shorting somewhere.

Its booked in under warrantee on Tuesday for this prob so they might find it for us!!

Its just nice to have an idea of the problem before it goes to the dealers!

Done some more digging on mine. Taken it all apart, and it's in a right ol mess in there. The worst thing is that you wouldn't have even thought that there was a problem in there unless you took it apart.

after taking one of the connectors out of the switch, it looked like this:

4B0972623A.jpg

You wouldn't be able to see that damage, as its all inside the switch. From the front of the connector, you can see a green mess, and the remainder of the pin from the switch itself, so the pins have actually come off the switch.

Inside the connector is a nightmare. There was a mixture of copper pin corrosion, and rust from the connector terminals - as well as lots of water. The mixture of this lot was causing the shorting. One connector pin was salvageable, the other just disintergrated.

I have the parts on order to replace all the switches and light to make it watertight, but I don't think i ordered the correct part for these connectors. They cost £5 each, and the terminals cost a couple of quid too. All in the bits have so far cost about £80, and the dealer wanted 2 hours (at £100/hour) to fit it...

Advice to all who have soft release boot switches it to pull out these connectors yearly and check them.. The funny thing is that its a common problem too, but not one I've ever seen mentioned much on here in the past.

The same connectors to the soft release switches were not as bad as yours, there was a little green copper corrosion but it was dry.

The boot has remained shut so far, despite its previous efforts to reamain open!!

I might have a check of the terminals at some point soon, as only one of the switches was working.

I agree though, its worth checking this if you have them before it starts playing up...