Looking for a little more power

SmoothAssault

Will design for mods
Reaction score
Website
www.matteasom.com
I've got a 1999 facelift A4 with standard 1.8 petrol engine. You guys are always talking about BHP and your intercoolers, and turbo this manifold that etc, etc... and I don't have a clue what you're talking about 'cause I'm more of an electrics and bodywork guy. I don't even know what BHP my car is supposed to have (I don't have the owners manual).
:think:

I was wondering what sort of things I could do to my engine to get a little more "Umpf" when I stick my foot down, and what sort of prices I'd be looking at for parts. And what exactly these new parts would do. I'm not too fussed about increasing the top speed, 120mph is fast enough for me. But I wouldn't mind getting there a little quicker.
:happy:

My little brother has a lovely Honda civic sport, it's only 1.6 but if feels like a little rocket, it's great. What are the chances of my A4 coungering up the same feelings?

Thanks =]

Prob the best bet is to rip out the N/A engine and replace with a second hand AEB Turbo 1.8 you will need the ecu clocks and key switch cost if your doing the work yourself prob no more than 1000

Not really worth it TBH.

Exhausts airfilters etc wont do anything apart from sound better.

Also the A4 is a big heavy car compared to the Civic you mentioned.

If i were you id trade it in for a 1.8T :thumbsup:

Probably not what you wanted to hear!

Jason

I am afraid they are right, you will need to swap to a 1.8t for any kind of gain. Thats what i did.

Uou wont need the keys and dash, but you will need lots of plumbing,wiring, as well as the engine, manifolds,exhaust et etc

Well in that case it's probably not worth it at all then. I will certainly be better off selling up and buying myself something else (audi of course) =]

But for now I'll spend my money on making her look a little prettier, and getting the sound system a little beefier.

Thanks for the help guys.

Thats what i did at first, but after i spent that much on it,not spending the additional 1k seemed a waste,lol

haha, nice find. I'll se how I feel in a years time. I'll either buy a B6 or drop a new engine in the B5. Depends how much I like my B5 and if there are any nice B6's around at the time.

I have this model but anavant & use shell V power seems to help and mpg too.Also used in wifes Micra 1.0 and makes it go like a1.3

is it a 20v?
why don't you get the cams changed and stick a decent exhaust on it.
few hundred, should liven it up a bit.
if you really want to get excited, get some DTH throttle bodies and someone who knows how to tune them.

all very well recommending a turbo to the guy, but lots of mods to an n/a engine see some usefull gains.

nothing is cheap though, you are entering an adictive world.

want to speed it up a bit, take all the cr'p out of the boot!! weight is your enemy!