Petrol Gauge takes forever!!!

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
Guys

When i fill my petrol up in the car, it takes a good 30 minutes for it to show how much I have put in, and due to the mileage I do, i always put a full tank in, it also takes ages for it to show on the range meter, eg how many miles left.

I drive a 99.5 V reg 1.8T Sport

Thanks for your suggestions.

Possible level-sender fault?

Have you got access to VAG-COM? If it is the sender it might've thrown a code... I guess 'short to ground' would be unlikely because it seems to be working, albeit sluggishly; maybe you'd see an 'implausable signal' fault logged for the sender which might help pinpoint that. Erratic gauge behaviour is pretty common, and often related to damaged wires or dirty connections - slow reaction rather than wildly-changing (and inaccurate) readings is more of a new one on me but could be a similar cause?

Regards,

Rob.

Try disconnecting the fuel tank sender at the fuel tank end then short out the 2 pins on the wiring loom going to the dash with the ignition on. If the guage rises quickly (like instantly) then you know it's the sender in the tank at fault. If it takes ages then it's the guage on the dash.

Hope this helps.