Badger5Volks Autos
    3rd Gear

Status

Exclamation GLOWING RED TURBO!!!

Ohhhhhhhhhh dear. after fitting new boost gauge and manual boost controller thought id increase my psi abit. but me bin abit thick fittedboost gauge in wrong place. result= started to increase my mbc valve and my gauge showed a loss in psi....... so i gave it a good turn..... 2nd gear foot to floor OH MY GOD the car was like a rocket i mean imprezza turbo didnt stand a chance an then 2nd attempt car thudded into limp mode like a huge misfire!!!! so popped the bonnet and thought id best lower the valve and inside i noticed my turbo bright RED it had seriously got too hot!!!!!!!!!!!! talk about close call
    Modified primera :-)

2. # ADS
    ADS

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    ahem.......what exactly did you expect?
    If you wound it up high enough your injectors will probably have been close to running out of steam.
    seriously high EGT, detonation, wounded rods and piston crowns

3rd Gear

Status
    IT STILL GLOWS EVEN ON STOCK SET UP!!!!

3rd Gear

Status
    is the manifold glowing at all, this would suggest definitly high EGT. though even driven hard it may glow a little anyway, mine on 1 bar boost glows very orange.

if just turbo then maybe the oil supply is not good or turbo is worn.

just a guess.
    1998 A4 1.8T Sport - For Saturdays
    2003 VW Golf MKIV R32 - For Sundays
    2000 Peugeot 406 HDi - For when it's raining
    1996 Kawasaki ZX7R - For when I'm late for work!

Mods- Forge Dump Valve, The Engine Shop Power Plus based Engine (Low Comp. Forged pistons, Arrow H-Section Rods, Newman fast road cams, polished & ported head), 19" wheels, B&M Short Shifter, Greddy Turbo Timer, RS4 Grill, Weitec GTN coilovers, HKS modified air filter, Autobahn88 FMIC, ChippedUK custom map. Some Turbo mods ongoing.

3rd Gear

Status
    MANIFOLD GLOWING LAST NIGHT AFTER I INCREASED PSI TO TURBO WITH A MANUAL BOOST GAUGE. IVE GIVEN UP BUT IT BACK TO STOCK AND GETTING A PROPER REMAP DONE SO THAT WAY IM SAFE AND NOT BLOW CAR UP

3rd Gear

Status
    EVEN HAD A QUICK FLASH OF OIL LOW WARNING LIGHT COME ON WHICH GOT ME WORRIED!!!!!!!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AUDI TURBO
    MANIFOLD GLOWING LAST NIGHT AFTER I INCREASED PSI TO TURBO WITH A MANUAL BOOST GAUGE. IVE GIVEN UP BUT IT BACK TO STOCK AND GETTING A PROPER REMAP DONE SO THAT WAY IM SAFE AND NOT BLOW CAR UP
    So is that not what we basically told you anyway....
    A4 Avant project now started ! see this thread ! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/43296-bit-project-going.html
    If you think my post had a usefull purpose please say thanks

3rd Gear

Status
    YES YES your right. sorry

A4 1.8T 1998 (S) 70K Silver, standard for now...

Status
    Mine was glowing a little when I got back from work this morning!

Status
    im not happy unless mine isnt glowing means im driving like a pussy

TopGear Stockport / Longlife Exhausts /
    www.TopGearStockport.co.uk

3rd Gear

Status
    yes well it all sorted now. new 710N bov valve, new hose clips etc and boost gauge installed in correct place (duuuurrrrrrrr) and new chip fitted im now getting about 11-12psi which is a HUGE difference so im happy at mo. only thing now is i change some breather hoses etc to red SILCONE type to be onest it looks good they jsut seemed abit soft?? is silcone bad or is it ok??

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    What chip did you go with?

Spooling Up The Turbos

Status
    You turned up the boost, but by not increasing the fuel supply either through longer injector pulse widths or by using larger injectors (if the stock ones are being ran at over 90% duty cycle. The chip would compensate the rise in boost with a rise in injector pulse width as well as the rise in fuel pressure from the fuel pressure regulator.

I was gonna say there are two things that will make a turbo get that hot. 1: you are running out of fuel causing a lean condition. You have heard the saying lean is mean? Well the extra fuel not only richens the mixture, it also cools the cylinder slightly so you'd have lower exhaust gas temperatures which are fed directly into the turbo. 2: the turbo is oil cooled so if everything else was fine I'd suspect the oil line is plugged up.

Luckily you didn't damage the motor from leaning it out that much, you could have had detonation which if you're lucky would just pop your head gasket(s) and if you're unlucky, maybe bend a rod, burn a hole in a piston or crack a piston.

Anyhow there's a reason why these cars need a chip and not just a cheap manual boost valve. I'm sure you can get away with upping the boost a few PSI with an mbc but at some point the computer won't add enough fuel because it's not in the factory programming to see that much boost. Also I've heard more boost without a chip can cause the computer to cut throttle and you'll lose performance which sounds like what it did to you.

Good luck with the chip, they work well and offer more power and retain factory drivability. Now work on your exhaust or fit some bigger turbos in the car!!

3rd Gear

Status
    i got a chip for ebay germany which i thought when i first fitted was a some crap superchip........but now ive EVENTUALLY got my car runnign as it was when new THEN upgraded parts and put the new chip in well this somes it up........... WOW........... she flys...

6th Gear

Status
    Still not as fast as your parent's Corolla?
    Mo power, mo problems

3rd Gear

Status
    i doubt that they own a very fast corolla 1 of only 250 made

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AUDI TURBO
    i got a chip for ebay germany which i thought when i first fitted was a some crap superchip........but now ive EVENTUALLY got my car runnign as it was when new THEN upgraded parts and put the new chip in well this somes it up........... WOW........... she flys...
    so is that german ebay chip any good or not? im still considering getting one as i cannot afford a proper remap

Spooling Up The Turbos

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmithee
    so is that german ebay chip any good or not? im still considering getting one as i cannot afford a proper remap
    Put aside money and save up for a proper chip from one of the well known tuners such as MTM, APR, GIAC, Dahlback, or Vast. I wouldn't trust some off brand chip to work properly in my car and I wouldn't want to have to pay to buy a new engine when you blow it up with a crap chip. Those companies listed have done extensive testing and tuning for the Audi cars. Now if you are buying a used brand name chip and you find it listed on ebay, well as long as it matches your ECU model, go ahead and save money that way. But stick to name brands or you never know what you might get.

3rd Gear

Status
    german chip fine causing NO problems at all and he has SOLD HUGE amounts of these