which pistons and conrods?

dappadan786

Reaction score
just thinking ahead as the car is open(for fmic and timing belt) with the turbo, exhaust mani being done along with the clutch! i thought might as well do the conrods and pistons! any recomendations?

pauter?
wossner?
Toga?

best places to buy them?

thanks!

I've always heard good things about JE Forged Pistons, thou I'm not sure how they compare to the ones you've mentioned.

ECS stock them I believe. Any good?

N

naefeart_A4 said:
I've always heard good things about JE Forged Pistons, thou I'm not sure how they compare to the ones you've mentioned.

ECS stock them I believe. Any good?

N

ive heard the same meant to be good! only prob is ECS wont have em in stock til 20th DEC! i need em ASAP! :(

Unless your going for big power then dont bother.

I looked at doing this before and thought about using the S3 rods etc the wrist pins are larger but thats not a problem if your changing the other bits as well.

Je do good pistons, you can also get cryo treated ones which are 1.9 think that was voodoo motorsport

unless you are boring out stick with stock pistons, they are fine. the rods are the weak link over 300-350lbft.
lots of expensive options, check out vortex, most people there go for fairly budget proven rods from Scat or Integrated Engineering (sub $400)
Scat are proven to run in engines well over 600bhp. they sell here for less than £250

go for scat or eurospec rods like jcb says, they get good results

i don't trust eurospec, bit like buying Armani glasses.
they don't make them they just brand them.
I was advised against thier cranks as they were using a cheaper chinese forging before they knife-edged it. they also have had some big problems with things like cams failing. each to their own

they're 4340 and nice and chunky enough for me to have a go. can't comment on the cranks not seen them

jcb said:
unless you are boring out stick with stock pistons, they are fine. the rods are the weak link over 300-350lbft.
lots of expensive options, check out vortex, most people there go for fairly budget proven rods from Scat or Integrated Engineering (sub $400)
Scat are proven to run in engines well over 600bhp. they sell here for less than £250

DONT even think about cheap eg, anything under £200 each rod if you are thinking about running serious power..

this will all end in tears..:crying:
tut tut...........

je are good for custom pistons as long as you dont mind a bit of piston slap when there cold...

carrilo all the way , eagle would be my second, then pouter
its so true with rods .. you get what you pay for:icon_thumright:

said it before ....don't look to the UK forums if you want to see parts tested with serious power.

The Mk4 and A4 boys in the US are running GT35's and 4-500whp all day long on stock cranks, stock pistons with Scats and IE rods.
sure pauter, eagle, JE, wiseco etc have all been proven but I can't find a single post of anyone breaking a set of scat rods ....not one.

why would someone spend "£200 per rod" to be lucky to run 300bhp through it?
serious power is not 3-400bhp, there are stock blocks out there running 350lbft without trouble

i'm using Arrow rods with mahle pistons. Make sure you use 20mm wrist pins if changing rods and pistons as some of the 1.8T engines use 19mm.

satans child meant SERIOUS power like the 1000bhp s4 he has

SCAT are bulkier than standard rods should be fine for over 350bhp, they only need to be a little stronger than standard, as long as you don't go for a set of rods so cheap they could only be made from scrap you will be fine

the 400-500whp take with a pinch of salt, uk dyno's read lower

if you are building a 1000 bhp motor you shouldn't be asking for advice here.
most people here will never see 400bhp let alone higher!

for that range scats and IE rods are more than adequate.
Pauter, carillo etc are just expensive options

first of all ed..

if this is a dig at me because i sold my hid's to someone else i have said im sorry what more can i do...?

secondly,
find one post from me asking for advice from anyone...?

i just posted my opinion that running cheap nasty rods with serious hp will end in tears..:crying:

so your telling us that there are 1.8t's running standard pistons and blocks and a set of £250 rods making 4-500whp ...bull you belive to much american hype..

ill fill you in shall i ...

ive just ordered our new liquid to air intercooler from precision turbo in the usa. there 1000hp model will only flow 700 cfm's of air. which equates to 600whp no good to me...

so your trying to make me belive that there running 8-900bhp on £250 rods who would do such a stupid thing... only in america
well im not going to argue with you but sorry i wouldn't put 1 ounce of faith in it..

so before posting anything else aimed at me, find out if anyone else would put there faith in it...????????

wind your neck in mate..:icon_thumright:

where is the dig at you?
you misread my post.
you are correct, I have never seen you ask for advice, so by that I assume you know how to build a 1000bhp motor. that is a veiled compliment.

the chap that started this post HAS asked for advice, so I assume that he does not know how to build up a improved bottom end and is therefore highly unlikely to see 400bhp let alone higher.
In which case spending £700 on rods is overkill, spending £250 will suit him just fine.

no neck winding needed

jcb said:
if you are building a 1000 bhp motor you shouldn't be asking for advice here.
most people here will never see 400bhp let alone higher!

for that range scats and IE rods are more than adequate.
Pauter, carillo etc are just expensive options

well i dont know of anyone else building a 1000hp motor
so i would say its aimed at me...?:icon_thumright:

why would someone spend "£200 per rod" to be lucky to run 300bhp through it?
serious power is not 3-400bhp, there are stock blocks out there running 350lbft without trouble[/quote]

and heres another....:icon_thumright:

as i said 4-500whp
on £250 rods:wtf: why would anyone with a bit of sense spend so much money, as lets face it your not talking shy of 10 grand to put 500whp in a 1.8t, to then put the whole thing at risk of dropping a rod......

you would have to be mental ..

each to there own

crack on:lmfao:

Been a long time, Satan!

How's the beast coming along?