couple of 1.8T questions

pablo

Reaction score
boss in work has lent me his 97 1.8T A4 and there are a few niggles with it.

- the running temp seems low at just under 80degC. Is this normal?

- when braking sometimes ou get a little abs type judder through the pedal. Usually when braking lightly at low speed so no chance of abs kicking in properly. No judder through the steering wheel etc to suggest a warped disc etc.

any help appreciated because I might buy it off him if these arent too major.

thanks.

Almost definately the temp sender. £20 replacement from the dealer should sort out the temp problem, it's a very common fault and an easy fix.

superb thanks!

any thoughts on the brakes? definately feels like abs so thinking a duff or badly connected sensor?

faulty sensor or warped discs

Thermostat is just as likely, on my first 1.8T I did the sender, which made it better, on my new one, the symptom was more pronounced and I had the thermostat done while the camblet etc was done, and it has put it back Bang on 90 deg.

Mine sits bang on 90 but if im hammering it it goes below to about 80+.

The brakes sound like the disk are warped if there is a little vibrarion you could get them skimmed or just replace them.

little update on the brakes. it seems to happen when gently on the brakes rolling up to traffic lights. when it happens the brake pedal depresses slightly. it really feels exactly like abs kicking in but 1/10th of the intensity of judder.

Get it plugged into vag come this should show up ABS errors then you can go from there.

pablo said:
little update on the brakes. it seems to happen when gently on the brakes rolling up to traffic lights. when it happens the brake pedal depresses slightly. it really feels exactly like abs kicking in but 1/10th of the intensity of judder.
Discs I reckon

had mine serviced and it juddered it was dust and metal filings on the abs sensor after it was cleaned it was fine
has it been serviced lately

johnyj said:
had mine serviced and it juddered it was dust and metal filings on the abs sensor after it was cleaned it was fine
has it been serviced lately

yes mate, youre on the money. was dirty abs rings on the hub or something.

sorted now :)

thanks all

K7ERG said:
Temp ender cause bad idle??? My gauge sits between 60- 70 degrees

Faulty temp sender causes all sorts of issues, bad idle, lack of power, stalling etc etc. It's not just the sender for the temp guage, it also feeds the ECU the info which adjusts accordingly, so if it's duff info then the ECU will be running rich or lean depending on the fault. Mine was causing the engine to stall when cold as it was telling the ECU the engine was hot when it wasn't.