Black smoke on tdi after head skimming

Layerz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have just had the head done on my 1.9 tdi after it went. I have noticed that under hard acceration/foot down most of the way I get a fair amount of smoke.
But otherwise I don't notice it, also the car is taking 5 seconds or so to start from cold.

Before the head went I got a small amount of grey smoke under full foot down.

Another thing is the engine feel "stiff" but has loosended up abit.

Any ideas on if the smoke will clear?

Thanks, Lewis

Black smoke tends to point to over-advanced injector pump timing.

That's where I'd lay my money.

Thats odd, what difference does having my head gasket make as it was ok before.

Best bet just to turn things down a touch in vag com?

Head work wouldn't have made any difference.

However, the timing belt was removed to carry out the work, if it wasn't timed properly, excessive soot would be the result.

Ahh balls, I might need a word with the garage then.

Is retimming it a font end of job again?

Edit: What affect can the timing be out do? I do 400-500 miles a week so just thought this is worth checking as I don't think I can get it in the garge for a few weeks

Hrmm the oil can light was flashing on earlier.
I got a 35 mile journey home tonight is this bad? I need to check as everything looks ok in a way.

The coolant tank is still pulling oil through even after a flush, could this be doing it?

Right ignore the above post I was only paying half attention at work whilst typing.

The engine is loosing its oil quite fast say over 150 miles, it will be going into a garage asap, in the meantime I got some thicker oil and trying to see where leak is coming from.
I have fingers crossed it is the sump gasket or turbo otherwise I think I am looking at a big big bill.