Badger5Monster Motorsport
    2nd Gear

Status

6 speed Box on a FWD 1.8TS

As per question is there any 6speed box i can use on my car? Id preferably like a quicker acceleration and a lower rpm on the motorway. I know the new A4 diesel boxes have that kind of gearing i need but will they fit?

2. # ADS
    ADS

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    they fit but i believe that the speedo takes its feed from the ECU and that from the gearbox......so I understand as I wanted a six speed.
    not sure 5th in a 5spd is that much shorter than 6th on 6spd.
    they are just shorter between ratios

6th Gear

Status
    I also want 6 speed in mine just for the sake of it ive always wanted one.

So would i need somthing changed using vagcom to make it read correctly ?
    A4 Avant project now started ! see this thread ! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/43296-bit-project-going.html
    If you think my post had a usefull purpose please say thanks

6th Gear

Status
    Andy, the 6-speed box will fit fine. No issues with speedo take-off, the original sender from your 5 speed (012) gearbox will fit the 6 speed (01E).

A4 2.5TDI ran a 6 speed box, codes were FRF or ELQ. You original distance sender is the very SAME part number as the 6 speed ones.

@ JCB: The ratios on a diesel 6 speed are completely different to those of a petrol engined-car. Whereas on a petrol unit, the 6th ratio isn't much higher than the 5th on a 5 speed car, as you said, the gaps are closer.

However, the 6th ratio on a diesel-engined car is a true overdrive, typically each 1,000rpm in 6th gives approximately 37.5mph, compared to the 22.5 - 26.4 seen on a petrol 5/6 speed gearbox.

2nd Gear

Status
    Right i see, so a diesel 6speed box will fit that great

Next question is what car would i need to get one out of ie year, model? Needs to be 2wd remember.

If i get one soon ill deffo fit it along with a better clutch and flywheel.
    Last edited by Andy.B; 3rd December 2007 at 17:01.

2nd Gear

Status
    Ming Blue A4 B5 RS4 Replica (SOLD)

T28 Kit (SOLD)

6th Gear

Status
    Andy, that one's perfect, price is good too.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    interesting.
    Siena...are you running a petrol box with deisel cogs?

£400 seems a bit steep for a box alone. I have seen whole cars for less than £1000

does this swap make a difference on a 4wd? I seem to recall you need to match gearbox and rear diff final drives.
    Not sure it is as straight forward for me with a quattro but would e interested in a cruising gear. my fifth does 22.5mph per 1000rpm (checked this afternoon) makes it tricky for me to hit 150mph before I hit the limiter!! ; )

6th Gear

Status
    @ jcb: My S4 6 speed box (DSY) I rebuilt with ratios to suit what I want my car to do with a highly modified S4 engine. I bought an FRF 6 speed box, from a smashed A4 2.5TDI. One of the mounts was torn off in the smash, taking the threaded holes in the casting.

I rebuilt my DSY box with some of the internals, altering just the 3rd, 4th and 5th ratios of my original DSY box.

£400 steep? That transmission costs just under £3,000 from Audi. You can't expect the seller to sell it for next to nothing, just because complete cars can be had for less than £1,000 (I've never seen an A4 2.5TDI go for less than £1,000. The FRF 6 speed was available in the AFB-engined A4 TDI from April 2001, so if you can let me know where to find one for less than £1,500, let me know, and I'll buy 2!

On a quattro, the final drive is 4.11:1, so rear differential ratio will be fine. Don't forget, you need serious low-down torque to cruise easily in a 6th ratio, if the cogs are from a diesel-engined car.

2nd Gear

Status
    Nice one i think i might buy it. I may have to see what im left with in the bank

T28 Kit (SOLD)

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    not saying that gearbox specifically, but if you are only after a few cogs, I wouldn't pay £450 for a box alone.
    there are a number of six speed boxes listed on the usual sites at the moment and they are all under £400-450.

what makes this one so worth while?

6th Gear

Status
    Jcb, you're missing the point. I wouldn't expect someone to sell me his 6 speed box for £200, just because someone else sold one for that amount.

I certainly wouldn't expect him to sell it dirt cheap either, just because I'm "after a few cogs". I've built gearboxes for different applications, the work involved in building just one unit is more involved than building 2 RS4 engines.

It's all about supply and demand, if you want something, then you've got to be prepared to pay the premium.

Unless a box is completely shagged, no one in their right minds would strip a transmission, just to sell 5 cogs and syncro hubs.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Siena
    I wouldn't expect someone to sell me his 6 speed box for 200, just because someone else sold one for that amount.

i would if thats what they were selling for.....

6th Gear

Status
    ...There's no set price for selling second hand parts. The prices are determined by demand, and how surplus they are.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb
    not saying that gearbox specifically, but if you are only after a few cogs, I wouldn't pay 450 for a box alone.
    there are a number of six speed boxes listed on the usual sites at the moment and they are all under 400-450.

what makes this one so worth while?
    This one is 440 posted, if you know of cheeper ones about for my aplication please tell me b4 i shell out on this one

T28 Kit (SOLD)

6th Gear

Status
    This is a great thread i have wanted to know about this for a while ill get one of these when i replace my clutch next year before the remap so i should have plenty enought torque for it Cheers Siena
    A4 Avant project now started ! see this thread ! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=43296
    If you think my post had a usefull purpose please say thanks

3rd Gear

Status
    if anyone does this can they let us know there opinion on the gear ratios. haven't had my car up and running properly with a good map yet so can't work out if there any massive holes in the torque curve that i need to consider when choosing ratios.
    1998 A4 1.8T Sport - For Saturdays
    2003 VW Golf MKIV R32 - For Sundays
    2000 Peugeot 406 HDi - For when it's raining
    1996 Kawasaki ZX7R - For when I'm late for work!

Mods- Forge Dump Valve, The Engine Shop Power Plus based Engine (Low Comp. Forged pistons, Arrow H-Section Rods, Newman fast road cams, polished & ported head), 19" wheels, B&M Short Shifter, Greddy Turbo Timer, RS4 Grill, Weitec GTN coilovers, HKS modified air filter, Autobahn88 FMIC, ChippedUK custom map. Some Turbo mods ongoing.

Aye you know it makes sense

Status
    I thin i might ut one on too when i do the clutch and after the new turbo install.

cheers for this Siena, good thread