Big Brakes on QTS - which kit?

Reaction score
Before I journey further down the road of uprated BHP, I need to get the brakes sorted out. The standard brakes are barely up to job now and with an APR chip looming after xmas, they will be found rather wanting.

I'm not looking for anything extreme - the car will never see a track day, just daily commuting and trips to the shops. I also want it to remain easy to live with and pose no issues regarding servicing and parts.

Now, I have heard that 2-piece discs are rather noisey and can get sticky when they corrode, so I am looking at single piece. Tbh my use probably doesnt warrant 2-piece anyway.

I have come up with the following options:

i) ECS Stage 2 kit

ii)Brembo GT kit

Both use single piece discs. The Brembo kit is more expensive, but Im guessing its been designed for this application and wont need the pads wear indicators to be bodged to fit the car.

My question is, which of the two will be easier to fit, give the best pedal feel and be the easiest to live with?

Regards,

N

I would personally go with Brembo.

I've got a brand new pair of Brembo 4-piston calipers, for the 2003 MY Audi S8.

They are radial mount units, and I'm getting a pair of carrier adapters made, I'll be using these in conjunction with RS4 360x35mm discs.

My car is a '96 Audi A4 quattro.

Pedal feel on both should be fine, pretty similar. Excessive pedal travel usually results if the ratio between the OE master cylinder and your calipers don't match, i.e the caliper pistons are too large.

This can be rectified by using a B5 S4 / RS4 master cylinder. Not sure what year your car is, but your master cylinder is most likely a 23.8mm unit, but the other option is a 25.4mm item.

23.8mm unit - 8D0 611 021B
25.4mm unit - 4D0 611 021A.

It would help if you gave a bit more detail about your car - year, engine code, if it has ESP, (PM me chassis number, and I'll let you know) and finally, what size wheels you're running / intend to run, and their offset.

Hi Siena, thanks for the reply.

Its a 1999 facelift non-dbw model, AJL engine and no ESP. I have no idea about the master cylinder.

Just now its running the standard quattro sport 17s, I think they are ET45. There isnt much room between the caliper and the wheels spokes, so I'm fairly sure bigger brakes will struggle to fit without changing the wheels.

I'm looking at replacing them with BBS CH 8x18" ET35. I have been told this way I wont need to use spacers.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,

N

That's fine. I like your choice of wheels, they'll acommodate the brake set-up I've mentioned above.

You won't need spacers. I've got 8.5"x18" ET 20 (with spacers) BBS RX2 2-piece wheels, and they'll take my big brakes with room to spare.

If you need any advice / help with adapters to run radial-mounted Brembos, send me a PM. Your master cylinder will be fine with 4-piston Brembos. Go to 6-piston units, and you MAY get more pedal travel.

Siena said:
That's fine. I like your choice of wheels, they'll acommodate the brake set-up I've mentioned above.

You won't need spacers. I've got 8.5"x18" ET 20 (with spacers) BBS RX2 2-piece wheels, and they'll take my big brakes with room to spare.

how are you running ET20 8.5" wheels without serious arch work?

RS4 Arches my friend, they accomadate wheels like that quite easy :)

Aye, RS4 body's the way to go. They'll accept 9" wide wheels with no issues.