Removing dial perspex...

robbie5

NEVER ENOUGH
Reaction score
Q. How difficult is it to remove the clear perspex covering the Audi B5 dials? I've bought a set of silver rings to place around the dials and thought this might be the best thing to do...?
Cheers
Rob

This should help.

First is stock....
int43-k-40_led.jpg

Take off top steering cover in the middle of the gauge cluster, remove the 2 torx screws , then unplug the three plugs behind the gauge cluster

int43-mvc-023x.jpg

Remove the two torx screws behind the cluster and pry out the 9 tabs around it and separate the cluster

int43-mvc-024x.jpg

Ahhhh the rings

int43-mvc-025x.jpg

2 rings installed

int43-mvc-027x.jpg

All rings installed

int43-mvc-030x.jpg

Cluster back together

int43-mvc-032x.jpg

Install in reverse order... plugging in the rear plugs was a PITA...

int43-mvc-035x.jpg

Ohhhhhh careful not to scratch the Rolex presidential.....thank god..

int43-mvc-037x.jpg

And the final pic
int43-mvc-039x.jpg

All in all well worth it. Glued the rings down with clear silicone adhesive... turned out great.

I did this mod on my old Mk4 Golf.

You don't actually remove the perspex from the pod. You remove the speedo console and undo half a dozen screws which split the front section from the clocks.

You then have to install the rings from the back by gently squeezing the alluminium rings and passing them through the holes in the back of the front half of the binacle. You then need some gel superglue to attach the rings permanently. Just be very careful with the glue as any spills with ruin the effect .

The seller of the dial rings said...they click into place (no need for glue) mmm we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks guys, as per usual you're all...diamond geezers!, said in a Del Boy accent!

robbie5 said:
The seller of the dial rings said...they click into place (no need for glue) mmm we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks guys, as per usual you're all...diamond geezers!, said in a Del Boy accent!

Thats interesting im not sure where they would click, esp if you hit a big pot hole and they fall off :)

When i got mine they said they would click into place but they didn't lol. Theres not much for them to click into. Glue did the trick though.

I have been looking for a set for my car which does not have DIS are they avaliable ?

Markey said:
I have been looking for a set for my car which does not have DIS are they avaliable ?

No, unfortunately not.