Seat removal

s4mark

Reaction score
Hi

I need to remove my drivers seat from my S4 so that I can replace the foam base. Can anyone give me any advice as to getting the seat out. I don't think it has airbags in the seats so would I still need to disconnect the battery?
Is it just a few bolts to get the seat out?

Cheers

You don't need to disconnect the battery, just don't have your keys in the ignition.

1) Remove screws at the back of each side runner(behind the drivers seat) - these are hidden under plastic caps. This will allow you to move the plastic stoppers which prevent the seat from sliding all the way out.
2) Pull pin out sideways from the front of the central runner (below the front of the seat). Remove the rubbery thing.
3) Slide the whole seat back until the central runner can be lifted up
4) Tilt the seat backwards slowly to get to the wires (All S4's have airbags)
5) Disconnect airbag connectors. Use a screwdriver as they're fairly tricky to get loose.
6) Slide the whole seat back so that the seat is clear of all three runners.
7) Wrestle the seat out!

you may have a bolt or pin at the very front of the centre runner to stop it sliding off...mine does

When dealing with anything to do with airbags you should disconnect the battery for at least 30 min before hand, this discharges the system and prevents any spikes that could set them off.

jcb said:
you may have a bolt or pin at the very front of the centre runner to stop it sliding off...mine does

That'll be the one mentioned in point 2)!

As for disconnecting the battery, not sure if this is neccessary. You wouldn't expect airbags to deploy in a vehicle with the engine off.

Yes, no need to disconnect the battery unless you work for health & safety. If you work for health & safety then I wouldn't attempt the job at all as the seat is very heavy and you could hurt your back.

AndyMac said:
Yes, no need to disconnect the battery unless you work for health & safety. If you work for health & safety then I wouldn't attempt the job at all as the seat is very heavy and you could hurt your back.
:applaus: :applaus:

Blue_Thunder said:
As for disconnecting the battery, not sure if this is neccessary. You wouldn't expect airbags to deploy in a vehicle with the engine off.

Guess you haven't been on an airbag course then.

Even with the battery disconnected you could still set them off with static charge,
I.e. like when you get an electric shock opening the car door or turning a light switch on.

Just don’t touch the terminals inside the plug connector.

And make sure you wait 30 minutes after rubbing any balloons, also ditch the polyester jumpsuit etc etc

Its not hard to dissconect the battery *** only takes less than a minute lol you would swear it was rocket science the way some you are talking about it.
I always dissconect the battery when working on any electrical work or anything near the airbags.
Better to be safe than sorry I think.
Wheter you "dont need" to diss. the battery is neither here nor there as I said its **** easy to dissconect so no one should have any complaints about doing so at the very least it gives you peace of mind.

macattax said:
Its not hard to dissconect the battery *** only takes less than a minute lol you would swear it was rocket science the way some you are talking about it.
I always dissconect the battery when working on any electrical work or anything near the airbags.
Better to be safe than sorry I think.
Wheter you "dont need" to diss. the battery is neither here nor there as I said its **** easy to dissconect so no one should have any complaints about doing so at the very least it gives you peace of mind.

Well said, shame some others dont see it like that and rather take the **** !!

thanks for all the replies.

the main reason I was asking about the battery was that I do not have my radio code anymore.

Either way, I will either have to pay to get my radio code or my airbag light reset depending on which route I go down

Thanks again for all the advice, I will probably be back in a while for some tips on the seat cover itself lol
:icon_thumright:

My passenger seat has started rattling a bit so I think its working itself loose.

Anyone know where all the bolts are that I should tighten?