How much for a 1.8t engine swap??

Randomjim

Reaction score
I've spent a fair few pennies on my NA 1.8 now and i want something quicker but looking around there's nothing i would want other than a b5 a4. Can't be ***** with all the hassle of taking everything off mine and selling it and finding another car so i'm thinking about an engine swap.

Was wondering how much a decent 1.8t engine would cost including labour because i'm useless with engines . Or even a 2.0tfsi to be a bit different but i imagine there would be problems with the wiring loom.

Also is there any problems with swapping engines? Reliability issues or anything? And also info on what would happen to the brake set up.

Jim, 1.8T engine swap won't present any problems, but hardly original.

Talk to me about a 4.2 V8 conversion. Have an engine complete with wiring harness, and ECU. PM me if you're interested. You SHOULD be!

Lmao as awesome as that would be i'm 22 so my insurance would be a small fortune. Plus i think a 4.2 might be a tad heavy and i want a turbo'd engine.

I think a 4.2 n/a would be as much fun as a 1.8t tbh but i get the point about insurance, altho not be easier to sell and get a 1.8tqs considering how cheap they can be had now?

Just a thought,

Cheers

Derek

I know i could but a 1.8t but i'm attached to my car now. I wonder how a supercharger would make it go??

It depends what you can get an engine etc for TBH
My engine with all ancileries cost £300
ECU and loom £ 100
All plumbing, pipes and intercooler £200
The exhaust and cat are different, £ 200 I bought a full SS system
Throttle cable, various brackets for mounting IC etc £50
Then i guess the sky is the limit, i was lucky with mine, i had the whole engine.manifolds and turbo for that bargain price. I have seen the engine alone go for at least twice that without manifolds etc etc

I binned my 2000 1.8tqs due to new engine requirement, just wasnt worth it. BUT if you could get a deal like above thats different + fitting costs if your not handy!

Well i had to replace the cylinder head when i first bought the car so i've spent a lot on it. Would cams, chip, gas flowed head etc make much difference?

TBH, if I were you I would leave the engine as is and enjoy your car for what it is. Putting in a 1.8t is a total waste of time and money, it will cost you a lot more than selling yours and buying a 1.8t. It will cost more to insure and will be worth less when you come to sell it. It will also be less reliable.

There really is no point in fitting an engine into a car in order to make it into one that you can already buy.

If you can't be bothered to take bits off your car and put them on another one, you certainly don't want to get into engine swaps. Save your money and buy an S4 which is soo much better than a 1.8t would ever be and has massive tuning potential.

Randomjim said:
Lmao as awesome as that would be i'm 22 so my insurance would be a small fortune. Plus i think a 4.2 might be a tad heavy and i want a turbo'd engine.

4.2 V8 engine is only marginally heavier than 1.8T I4. It's all aluminium.

Randomjim said:
Has anyone ever put a v8 in a b5?

I haven't.

But, I've installed a V8 into a B2 90 quattro, as well as a B3 Audi Coupe quattro.

Your car'll present no difficulties to me.

i would go down the route of buying a 1.8T otherwise insurance will be an issue due to you car not being one from the start.

1.8T engines go for about £500 - £700 without turbo and other parts, and even then the one i got wasn't very good. The Engine shop do an exchange engine and fitting service, but may not be that interested due to the fact you need to sort wiring etc out.

if you need a hand fitting an engine i can give you a hand, but i have no garage to do it. it was relative easy swapping my 1.8T engines over (twice!)

1.8T's are fairly cheap now, i would get a loan to buy one, swap bits over then sell old car. believe me, probably a lot better in the long run. my car now owes me over £9k! considering i only paid £500 for it you can see what the engine etc has cost me.

You could turbo the engine you have in it you can get teh steel pistons etc an just get a mani and then custom the rest would probably be much more fun.

The conversion is farily simple i helped a mate with a 1.4 NA gold put in a 1.8t AUM engine if you can get all the parts it is fairly easy you could even get a TT engine etc but they can be about 1k + for a nice one.

Dump the car and go get a Face lift 1.8Tq Sport for around £2000-£2500 it would be much cheaper in the long run and a much better base car.

Good idea if you can find one :) i never had any luck do you have a secret stach doc?

Markey said:
Good idea if you can find one :) i never had any luck do you have a secret stach doc?

I hope Doc does, cos if thats all my low mileage tqs is worth, i think i'm gonna cry :)

Unless I had the garage space and tools (and time!!)I think I would be leaning towards changing cars. But if Jim is handy with a spanner and prepared for the slog, I think he should try the engine swap. Its probably not the right financial decision, but cars are just money pits after all.

Besides, we're all spending money fitting bigger brakes/turbos/oem rs4 panels etc to our cars, it would probably be cheaper for us to all buy cars that were actually faster to begin with, but for various reasons we choose not to.

Regards,

N

I have a 1.8t engine, loom all ancillaries, intercoolers, turbo, downpipe, mani's clocks and keys.
all you could need if you want it
came out at 69,000 miles perfect working order, was destined for a Mk2 Golf........never happened.
PM me

naefeart_A4 said:
Besides, we're all spending money fitting bigger brakes/turbos/oem rs4 panels etc to our cars, it would probably be cheaper for us to all buy cars that were actually faster to begin with, but for various reasons we choose not to.

So very true mate! :respekt:

naefeart_A4 said:

Regards,

N

lol, i plead guilty to doing the same! i thought i would stop at the bigger turbo, new suspension, porsche brakes. but now i want forged pistons and new strengthened rods! its an addiction its what makes our cars different from other! i still prefer my car compared to my mates cars which are alot newer(mines a 96 :icon_thumright:)!

jcb said:
I have a 1.8t engine, loom all ancillaries, intercoolers, turbo, downpipe, mani's clocks and keys.
all you could need if you want it
came out at 69,000 miles perfect working order, was destined for a Mk2 Golf........never happened.
PM me

Price as i have a mate who is doing a conversion into a VW and this could be ideal as you have most of the parts :)

engine is a mk4 Gti spec, full list of parts, including a spare head .....£1200