EM TuningChris Nott

Thread: 1.9tdi De-cat?

Cornish and Proud!

Status

1.9tdi De-cat?

Hey Guys

I was just curious as to whether many people have de-catted thier tdi's, i have heard of it being done and am quite tempted to give it a go, see what difference it makes, What are your oppionions?

My plan is to find a scrap 1.9tdi and take the cat with all hosing etc on it and then remove the cat, weld in a bit of pipe so that it has the requite flanges etc and then directly replace my cat with the new de-cat, is that how other people have done it or are there actual kits you can buy?

Also, i have heard from a few people that diesel's don't legaly require a catalytic converter, has anyone else heard this?

Thanks

Adam

PS: Should have the initial mods to the car sorted soon, 18inch RS4's are being collected on saturday, tuning box should be here this week, 40mm lower (i think i will be going with the Venom kit.) suspension should be ordered next week, then the black projector lights will be ordered once i have been paid next week, i can't wait!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Sounds like you have some good plans i dont know much about the diesels but if your able to make the decat yourself you could save youself the cost of the already made item for the petrol cars there normally about £130+.
    A4 Avant project now started ! see this thread ! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/43296-bit-project-going.html
    If you think my post had a usefull purpose please say thanks

1st Gear

Status
    Why go through all the hastle of welding additionional pipes together.
    Just disconnect the cat from the turbo and exhaust, take a metal rod to the inside of the cat until there is nothing left inside.
    Cost - free
    To remove the cat you will have to put the front of the cat up on ramps, disconnect the exhaust joint which is level with the drivers seat, disconnect the 3 bolts the connect the turbo to the cat, remove the cat and small length of exhaust pipe upwards from the engine bay.
    Thats how I did it on my 1.9 TDi AFN engine.
    Don't worry about the MOT as the cat does nothing for the smoke emmissions test. Make sure you drive the car hard on the way to the MOT station, this will clear out any deposits in the exhaust.
    Hope this helps.
    Jim.

Neutral

Status
    Did the same cleaned it out with a broom handle MOT were suprised how low the smoke emmissions were

Cornish and Proud!

Status
    DId either of you guys feel much of a difference after you had done it?

Adam

Neutral

Status
    My 1.9 was a 90bhp found I was driving it at what seemed like its peak torque 1900rpm or so,after it was removed more free reving especially at higher rpm found I was driving more at 25-2800rpm and it was certainly louder,