high pitch mechanical noise when idle

A4NA18

Reaction score
Hi Lads,

I have noticed recently that when the car is idling, a high pitch mechanical (or air sound) going "~he~he~he" can be heard from the right side of the bonnet, maybe somewhere near the right front wheel.

When driven for a bit the noise seems to disappear.

Do you have a clue what that could be???

It makes my car sound cheap.

Thanks for your help !

Sounds like a worn belt to me but without a better description I cant be sure m8.
Is that the right side if you were standing in front of the car looking into the engine?

Hi Maca,

No it is on the lewft when standing in front of the car. And the belt has been changed 10K miles ago....

:ermm:

Sounds like it might be the valve for activated charcoal filter. If you check it should be located on top of the air box. it only operates at times to vent fumes to the charcoal filter

Does the car have air con?

If so it could be the pump of the tensioner that sits on the belt that goes to the pump.

I'd doubt its the charcoal filter it makes a slow/fast clicking noise altho i spose if it was f00ked it might make a diff noise but from experience its just a solenoid valve that opens and closes depending how much exhaust fumes need to pass through (I think) so sounds a strange noise for a valve to make.

The n80 valve looks like this without the tape :)

Start up your car give it some revs then go listen for a fast clicking sound to rule that out.

I've since repaired mine with some sticky stuff from halfrauds.

Only other noise i've had thats like you describe is my whining power steering pump a couple of audi's ago but that wouldnt go away i wouldnt think.

Cheers

Derek