New Hid kit arriving tomorrow

waveform2

* J e d i *
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Any pics of where you guys fitted your ballasts?

Just for some ideas and to save some time since it gets dark so quick i might be doing it in not the best light conditions.

Tia

Derek

There is a previous post concerning HIDs posted only a few days ago so why dont you read in there it also has pics of jimbo kings hid ballast placement.
Also any chance you could take pics during your install as I am expecting mine in a week or so.

Cheers m8

Mine are actually mounted under the headlights in the recess on the lamp itself. Fits well and doesnt catch on anything

Hid kit arrived along with main beam bulbs and side light bulbs (25mm holesaw too) :)

Installtion tommorow morning when i can see!

Cheers

Derek

Yeah i stuck mine underneath the headlight in the cut out.

Have fun tomorrow, is not a hard job.

Worse part is the wing-headlight bolt which can be a fiddle.

yep cheers mate, will try and take some in progress pics depending on the temperature outside, it might be a get it done asap job! Last time took me about an hour to fit so im not too fussed really :>

all installed and working altho at -1 deg C my hands are gona fall off, all bulbs perfect and i mean perfect match! i'll get the same for the fogs.

I'll take some piccies later on with them kinda disasembled for you guys who are looking to do it, that too ummm 38mins :)

Cheers

Derek

Mine are coming from hong kong Cheapest price about straight from the factory.
I think it was about £50 all in and thats with postage.

What do you mean? they are made from philips brand parts I totally dont think they are dodgy.
It cost me less than 100 quid m8.
Your just annoyed that you paid more for yours eh?

LoL I was just taking the pee Waveform.
They are 35w m8.
Got mine in tonight all went well I fitted mine in the space underneath the headlight like soupie mentioned above its a perfect place and fit.
I had help from the bro in law so we had it done in 30 mins.
By the way we used a 22 mm cutting tool which made for a perfect fit for the rubber seal jimbo king in a previous post said a 25mm hole cutter which for my kit I think would have left quite a bit of space for leaks to get in.
Its looking good in the projector very crisp clear light and viewing distance is maximised. Only thing is when you have full beams the look is tainted by the yellow tint from the standard bulbs meh! (Any ideas?)
A nice small project none the less with excellent results and it ended up being very cheap for me!
Have to thank you all for the advice and help for preping me especially to Jimbo King!

Cool man, glad all went well the std lights are p00p so its a huge upgrade! Glad you like them they do make a fair difference.

Remember n' change sidelight/main beam fogs to match at some point, i got 4750k normal h7's and white led sidelight bulbs which work well!

Cheers

Derek

So can you get H7 bulbs for fogs and main beams to match the 6000k temp colour?
Also how much are they to buy usually?

I got some H7 nice ones they are NOT 6000k but they are 4750k which is dam close, from www.hids-direct.co.uk for £9.99 a pair and they are a great match, he also does pure white sidelight bulbs for £5 best bet to phone him on 0161-657-0165 he's in manchester if thats near you.

Cheers

Derek

I also got the £50 ones a while ago. Unfortunately the ballasts were too big to fit under the headlights so I had to find somewhere else.
They look great with LED side lights.

Hope you guys that have fitted them have the lube ready for when plod catch you.

Local lad made the paper when he was stopped witha HID conversion in his Corsa and the police slapped him with a notice meaning he couldn't use the car on the road until the HID kit had been removed and the car re MOT'd he was also slapped with the cost of recovering the car as the police wouildn't let him continue on his journey home.

Straight from the DfT
In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.
The following is the legal rationale:
The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.
However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).
For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.
Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:
1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.
2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).
3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.
In practice this means:
1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.
Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.
In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

Oranoco said:
Hope you guys that have fitted them have the lube ready for when plod catch you.

Local lad made the paper when he was stopped witha HID conversion in his Corsa and the police slapped him with a notice meaning he couldn't use the car on the road until the HID kit had been removed and the car re MOT'd he was also slapped with the cost of recovering the car as the police wouildn't let him continue on his journey home.

Straight from the DfT
The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.
Fair enough but my headlamps have projector lenses on them so as far as I am aware are designed to take a xenon bulb so the beam on mine will be more directed.
I can see the reasoning behind why the guy in the corsa got pulled as he has the wrong type of headlamp housing for xenons so the light got refracted all over the place causing major glare to all road users.
I had some boy racer last week who had xenons fitted to a corsa (coincidence?) but they must have done a botch job as only one light was working on their car. Even with one light it was enough to dazzle me and made me so ****** off. In the end I pulled over and let them pass and then continued my journey up their hole with my lights directed up high and dazzled them for 30 minutes. The driver turned his cabin light on immediatley and left it on for a good 10 mintutes lol I dont know why he did this maybe it took the glare away from his rearview mirror.
Anyway xenons should not be retrofitted to headlamp housings that dont have any way of projecting the light in a safe way.
My headlamp housings are facelift valeo eurolights and do the job perfectly.
I actually parked along side a police car lastnight at the local petrol station and they didnt bat an eyelid m8.

I am lucky, i had washers fitted to the S4 bumper, and the Audi facelift lights have a good focus and cut off.

Can you retrofit washers? as I always thought that they would be a good feature to have wheter you had xenons or not. But so long as you keep your lights clean with the odd wash with some water and fairy liquid everything will be ok.

The kids with the 10000k upwards kits are the ones who are spoiling it for us fitting kits to saxos without checking the levels etc , purely for looks as 10000k gives f all visability just turns things blue lol,my car is illegal now as its got a rs4 bumper and washers removed whoops!

So basically if you have an A4 without washers, it means, go for the Osram Nightbreakers or the kind. Right?

I have also heard that if you do not have projectors, you cannot fit the Hids as it is illegal.

I am really fXXXed because I have a prefacelift headlamps with H4, no fog lamps (included in the headlanps), no washers.

I think I might go for the nightbreakers then. anybody has fitted them?

Yeah im the same as soupie i had 8k in the old audi but went for 6k this time, huge improvement and i agree the projectors work well with the hid kits, i see no huge prob fitting them and the law tbh.

As for retro fitting washers yeah i think vag parts do the kit but i cant be ar$ed, huge effort for little gain, ya need to cut holes in the bumper get the caps painted mount the pump etc etc etc.... why bother, just keep ur lights clean.

Cheers

Derek

waveform2 said:
why bother, just keep ur lights clean.

Much easier IMO

So do you rate the kit that you bought from outside the car do they look like HIDs nice crystal bluey tint light ?

yeah mate, has greatly improved the light output and they are hids so i guess they look correct? they are 6000k so usual 6000k look, white/blue tint.